Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Question Looking to buy a van...

I have 3 boys, ages almost-10, 5.5, and 3.5.

10yo in a booster, needs to be able to get out the passenger side on his own for school, without climbing over 5.5 yo. He can climb over 3.5 yo, he doesn't get as upset.
    5.5 yo in a Frontier, has autism, cannot be within arm's reach of either brother.
    3.5 yo ffing in a SureRide. I might buy a Frontier for him too, depending on how much of my tax return money is left over.

I also give a ride to my friend's 5yo twice a week, she's in a booster.

I currently have a car, but am looking to buy a minivan with my tax return money. I love the stow 'n go seats as I'm a single mom so no man to haul them in and out for me (I have scoliosis so I can't lift them on my own), and I live in an apartment so I have nowhere to store them. I'd have to haul them up stairs and leave them in the middle of my living room. I want the room to haul the kids' bikes during the summer.
    I don't know if I can afford them though, I can spend $5,000-$6,000.

Advice?
    Anna, Canadian (living in Indiana, U.S.) mommy to: Aaron born April 2005, 57 lbs, SK Monterey. Liam born at home June 2009, 47 lbs, Britax Frontier with harness. Matthew born at home August 2011, 37 lbs, ffing Evenflo SureRide.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Looking to buy a van...

Bumping for you. My main advice is that if you want flexibility in where you put forward facing seats, look for something with more than 3 tether anchors. Also, the Town & Country/Grand Caravan has outboard third row seats that don't work with a lot of high back boosters and aren't safe for backless booster or belt only riders, due to poor geometry, and you also can't install a harnessed seat forward facing there (no top tether anchors.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!