Can I recycle an expired car seat?

whitneyg

I have an expired Marathon Classic and I am wondering what I should do with it. Since it is plastic and metal (once the foam is removed), can it be recycled? Seattle has rather strict recycling laws now and I am worried about putting it in the garbage. Thoughts?

And would anyone in the Seattle area like a free MA Classic cover? It is tan.

ADS

jwilliams

I would call your recycling provider and ask. I asked the person in charge of recycling for my county (my brother) and he told me to strip the fabric and harnesses off and put it in my 96 gallon single stream container.

duckmama

I'm in an area with similar recycling laws and was told no I could not by our recycling company. I listed the cover on cl, and took it to a consignment sale that was collecting them to take to some regional recycling, but first I took the straps, cut them and put them in my trash and wrote expired on it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Portland has an active car seat recycling program through Legacy hospital. I don't suppose you come down this way regularly.

Cnidaria

Car seat recycling in Seattle is currently in flux; there are options in Bellevue and Issaquah but you might have to be residents of those cities. The woman who made this page is a Seattleite: http://recycleyourcarseat.org/

http://recycleyourcarseat.org/where-do-i-recycle-my-seat/

If there isn't an email address on the page, I can PM you her email address if you like. She'd be able to tell you if they're planning any upcoming drives in Seattle.

whitneyg

I emailed the recycling info person you posted about and she said there would probably be a recycling event in Seattle in April. I'll take care of it then. Thanks so much for her info!

I still have that MA cover...I suppose I'll put it on CL for free.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC