Balance Bike

cmm7

I want to get a balance bike for A. She just turned 4, is 38" tall, and wears size 3T pants (though 4 doesn't looks ridiculously big, so I'm sure she will be moving up soon). Coordination is an issue and she is low tone so I want to make sure I get a good one that lets her succeed.

I am hoping to spend around $60 (or less), but if there is a SUPER AWESOME one for more that is recommended I could go higher. I have a Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, and small bike shop near me. I also have Prime so could order from there.

Thanks!

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I would go to the bike shop first. If they don't have or can't get what is best for you, they should know what is out there and give you a good recommendation.

Persimmon

I don't have any experience with this bike, but the Trikke Bikee Balance Bike is on Woot today for $40. It got good reviews on Amazon. DS used a Strider. We loved it--$$ though. He is NT, but the main benefits he seemed to gain from the balance bike were being able to easily put his feet on the ground so he could gradually learn to balance and the low weight. I have heard of people just taking the pedals off a regular bike, but for a child with low tone my uneducated guess would be that she would be better off on something lighter. If your DD get any services like PT, her therapist might have some advice.

cmm7

Thanks! I will look it up and see if I can find some reviews.

Sadly, she doesn't get PT or OT. Not my kiddo or I would have pushed for it for sure. I do agree that a lighter bike is better for her.

Thanks again!

tanusscott22

I strongly suggest the Strider Balance/Pre Bike. I have a small home day care and I have 4 of these bikes. They have been though 13 kids so far in the 4 years I've owned them and several of my day care parents have bought one after seeing their child ride at my home. They are less than 7 pounds and my children could maneuver, turn, and pick/carry the bike by 18 months to 2 years old. It has the lowest seat height on the market so if you have a short legged little or very young child, you are good to go. It also has a higher seat you can buy for about $15 to allow your taller 4 and 5 year olds to ride. My oldest son spent the summer of age 2, 3, and 4 on his Strider bike and learned to ride a two wheel bike with no training wheels in about 10 minutes just before he turned 5. He could have made the transition the summer before but he wasn't tall enough to reach the ground on the 16" pedal bike. I've also tried taking the pedals off a regular 12" bike and it doesn't compare at all to a Strider. Not even in the same ball park. Watch ebay or Amazon for a good deal. I got all 4 of mine for between $60 and $70. The day care kids are already asking me to get the bikes out of the garage and the snow hasn't even melted her in Northern Wisconsin yet! Best of luck!

BookMama

Senior Community Member
I agree with a Strider. We bought DD2 one for Christmas when she was a little over 2YO. It's lightweight and easy to maneuver, and it fit her for a long time. The first summer, she mostly just toddled while sitting on it. The second summer (so, she was 3.5), she was zooming all over the place. The third summer (she was 4.5), it still fit her well but she quit riding it - because she was riding a regular two-wheeler with pedals!

I only wish I had discovered Strider with my first instead of my third :)

cmm7

Whoops. Sorry I never updated! I had been hunting Craigslist and I found a Haro for $50. To top it off the seller was coming to my city that weekend for a meeting, so she even delivered it! A has tried it out a few times in my tiny apartment and seems to be able to maneuver it ok. Once all our stupid snow melts we will be able to try it outside.

I am still stalking CL for a Strider and can always sell the Haro if one pops up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC