Would I like/hate using a radian for a newborn?

aept

So the thrifty part of me is wondering if it is even feasible or enjoyable to use one of our radians for our baby due in May. Plus DH asked if we *really* need a new seat for the baby. I do tend to babywear a good deal so I feel like it might work from that standpoint.
(DS3 is FF now so he could move out of the Radian into the frontier and I could booster the oldest two.)
It would be installed in a Dodge Grand Caravan captain's chair. They are really sloped (usually a good thing for a RF toddler but it might be impossible to achieve a newborn angle?)
Also will it be so long (front to back) that I'll just be annoyed? The captain's chair can move back but it does then kinda infringe upon the third row passenger behind it.
I have always assumed I would get an infant bucket with a 30-35 lb limit and move her into the radian when she can sit up better and could tolerate a more upright installation. Maybe 8-10 months?

We used to move the boys from their infant bucket to a Britax convertible around 3-4 months. But that bucket (22 lb limit) and those Britax convertibles are expired and gone now.

ADS

bnsnyde

I decided against the Radian for the newborn. Not that it's a fine option, certainly. Just for us, in and out of the car a billion times a day, I want the handle seat. And add winter cold!

As I get older I am so done with heavy seats. And dad is 6'4" and I am tall, too. So I prefer more room for us up front. After the handle seat I don't know what I'll put baby in. I will likely just wait and see what's out then. What we have would be expired anyway. Maybe that new one that's supposed to RF to 50 lbs. and a tall height..coming out soon I heard. I wouldn't mind that since the kids are tall and I must admit I like the air pockets by the head. It'd probably be the last convertible I'd ever buy! Sad!

MUTigers

I decided against the radian from birth with DD2 mainly because we don't have the front to back room easily. Also, I didn't want to be taking a winter baby in and out all the time. I like the infant seat for now. She will move to the radian when we can use the angle adjuster.

On the flip side, a friend just had her 4th. Only the first was ever in an infant seat, the other three have all been in the radian from birth. Her newest is 3 weeks old and was 5 weeks early. He's just under 6 lbs. the straps just barely get tight enough for him and the chest clip is wider than he is.

On a side note, she has 4 radians in her van, two FFing and two RFing. She's the only person I know IRL that has even heard of the radian. I was very excited when we met!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

littleangelfire

I only didn't choose it because at the time we both had compact cars and the front to back was going to be a problem. But I didn't get an infant seat either. Got Coccoros instead

aept

I only didn't choose it because at the time we both had compact cars and the front to back was going to be a problem. But I didn't get an infant seat either. Got Coccoros instead

Oh believe me, I want a grape CCO! Just wondering if I can justify that because I feel like if I get something that size it might as well have a handle and be removeable!

bnsnyde

Ha, ha. I ordered the Cocorro and then when UPS delivered, had changed my mind! So I was able to do a return on the spot. I didn't realize the weight limit went so low to only 33 lbs. RF. I mean, my infant seat goes higher than that to 40!! So yeah, I wanted the handle, since why not? Plus I changed our setup so baby gets a captain's chair.

The CCO would have been for 3 in the row across the back (over our perfectly good Radian). So I had no need for the CCO really, when I now have the chance to have the handle in the second row.

Baby is huge, too, so they say, so I think we made the right choice with a big infant seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think it would be suitable in your car. They tend tobe pretty upright. And they no longer allow adjusting the angle with the tether... Not to mention that your vehicle is made by the one brand that has specifically forbidden rf tethering.

aporthole

Newborn + Radians are often hit or miss. Many newborns don't fit well. Also like you mentioned, getting a full newborn recline may not even be possible with the slopey seats in your van. I HATE how giant and thick the chest clip is on the Radians even for an older 2-3 year old. They look pretty rediculous on newborns being SO massive. Personally, I would not attempt to use a Radian with a newborn. I'm a frugal person by nature and would be perfectly fine skipping the infant seat, but I honestly prefer the fit and ease use of something like the Chicco KeyFit over all the newborn friendly convertibles I've tried. For me using an infant seat the first 5-6 months is worth it even if I turn around and sell it after 6 months and then just get whichever convertible I really want.

aept

Thanks everybody!
I think you all have provided me with enough reasons to back up my gut feeling of not wanting to use it for the baby from the beginning.

We do have sunshine kids radians I could also use (besides our fairly new Diono radian RXT) which have one year left before they expire, with the old narrow chest clip. But still, I think the cons far outweigh the "pros" and either a bucket or a smaller convertible that is known to be newborn-friendly is really the way to go.

aept

I don't think it would be suitable in your car. They tend tobe pretty upright. And they no longer allow adjusting the angle with the tether... Not to mention that your vehicle is made by the one brand that has specifically forbidden rf tethering.

Thank of for reminding me of that rule! I had undone the RF tether for DS3 a quite a while ago, and then turned him FF about a month and a half ago and had since totally forgotten about that!
I can't even imagine getting it to install at 45 degrees without a little extra pull downwards from a tether.

Dillipop

I don't even like my radian for older kids. There's no way I'd want to wrestle with one with a newborn. I only still use ours because it works for the spot I need it in and there aren't really any other options.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
We do have sunshine kids radians I could also use (besides our fairly new Diono radian RXT) which have one year left before they expire, with the old narrow chest clip.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard several times that Diono has approved the use of the old chest clip (if you can find one) on new seats.

Even if you don't use it that way, don't throw out the old chest clips when you recycle the car seats. They are hard to come by and people search high and low for them. I had one for a while I got from Judi, which I then passed on to someone else when I was done with it.

Anyway, if economy is what you're looking for, maybe a Scenera NEXT for the baby would be a good bet. It's cheaper than an infant seat and will last longer.

sunflower

I personally like the Radian for the NB age, since I don't like moving seats in and out, but it depends on the car as well.

aept

I personally like the Radian for the NB age, since I don't like moving seats in and out, but it depends on the car as well.

Yeah, I was basically able to figure out that I can't achieve a newborn angle in my car. It will be fine. Ds3 can keep using the radian(s) for now and I'll just pass it (them) to the baby eventually.
Ds2 wants to keep the frontier anyways and is not ready to pass it on to Ds3! He apparently does not like buckling boosters and would rather buckle himself into the harness. Whatever! (He is 6 3/4 and has been in a booster in our other car for quite a while!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC