2015 Sienna or Oddy?

Keeks64

I'm really leaning towards the Sienna but I just keep thinking I'm missing something with the Oddy that might change my mind

If it matters at all, we have 2 kids & TTC #3

We will be getting a mid model in terms of features & FWD likely as we don't really need AWD here.

Do I want leather?! I'm so torn because I would love leather for ease of cleaning but is it that brutal to install? Chances are I will only have Britax seats & boosters lol

In terms of features I want power sliding doors, power liftgate , keyless entry (sienna has the push button start that I like) satellite radio , heated front seats & preferably power seats. Back up camera & blind spot warning is high on the list. Bluetooth is pretty standard I think but a must. Do I want DVD players? Obviously we ERF so is there a way to enable the RF'er to see the screen?

Which would you prefer & why?

Price difference isn't a huge concern but I will get a better deal at Toyota as I know the sales manager & he's good to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

1mommy

I know some people aren't fans of the Sienna due to the tether anchors location -

When googling it I found this online which was interesting

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2015/01/2015-toyota-sienna-car-seat-check.html

Oh and leather wise- i have leather seats and I don't think you'd have any trouble with Britax, the only seat Ive had troubles with is the Guide 65 and that's because when I installed it with latch it kept slipping and became over-relined, when I installed it with pool noodles under it it became more manageable.

MySillyKids

Re: 2015 Sienna or Ody?

It's Ody. ;)

I've had two Odysseys. 2005, and 2011.

My 2005 was okay when I had two kids. Adding the 3rd kid made it hard, because i didn't have a +1 seat in the 2nd row, so one kid had to buckle in the back by themselves. It was easier to have two in the 3rd row, and a captains chair, i removed the 2nd captains chair). So thats typically what i did. I also HATED the tether anchors in the 3rd row. They go ACROSS the 'trunk' area.

My 2011, I've had all 3 kids in the second row, and it's the best thing ever. I haven't had any issues.

EDIT: I've had leather on both vans. The 2005 Was a touring (top model) And my 2011 Is a touring Elite (top model) I got the OEM honda covers (seat covers) for the 2nd and 3rd rows. They're SO amazing. We don't use the Extra wide DVD player in the ody anymore. But we used to have the Xbox in there, so one kid could play that, and the other two could watch movies. (yes, at the same time, lol)

I don't like the sienna's because they have all their side door tracks INSIDE the car, making less room. The Ody's are on the outside, thus more room in the van :)

aporthole

The new Sienna does not permit head restraint removal at any time and the head restraints are fairly forward leaning. There could be some major incompatibility issues with a lot of high back boosters.

If it were me picking between the 2, I'd choose the Ody without hesitation.

Keeks64

It's Ody. ;) I've had two Odysseys. 2005, and 2011. My 2005 was okay when I had two kids. Adding the 3rd kid made it hard, because i didn't have a +1 seat in the 2nd row, so one kid had to buckle in the back by themselves. It was easier to have two in the 3rd row, and a captains chair, i removed the 2nd captains chair). So thats typically what i did. I also HATED the tether anchors in the 3rd row. They go ACROSS the 'trunk' area. My 2011, I've had all 3 kids in the second row, and it's the best thing ever. I haven't had any issues. EDIT: I've had leather on both vans. The 2005 Was a touring (top model) And my 2011 Is a touring Elite (top model) I got the OEM honda covers (seat covers) for the 2nd and 3rd rows. They're SO amazing. We don't use the Extra wide DVD player in the ody anymore. But we used to have the Xbox in there, so one kid could play that, and the other two could watch movies. (yes, at the same time, lol) I don't like the sienna's because they have all their side door tracks INSIDE the car, making less room. The Ody's are on the outside, thus more room in the van :)

Haha! Thank you! My friends nickname is Oddy & so it auto corrects everytime lol I didn't even notice lol

Yeah see I would likely have all 3 (when there is a 3rd) across because we sometimes take the dog or for groceries & a stroller etc .... But really DS2 is in a booster so could easily buckle himself in the 3rd if the 2 younger were in the captains

The new Sienna does not permit head restraint removal at any time and the head restraints are fairly forward leaning. There could be some major incompatibility issues with a lot of high back boosters. If it were me picking between the 2, I'd choose the Ody without hesitation.

Thank you! That's exactly what kind of insider information I was hoping to get from this thread lol that alone rules out the Sienna for me!

seb3244

My friend has the ody and it is so dang nice and my other friend has the sienna and while it is nice it's not as nice as the ody. the head rest thing someone mentioned before would be a negative mark for the sienna.

Good luck in your decision and be sure to let us know and post with pics once you get your new minivan and that way I can live vicariously through your pics

-said the used 2003 chevy suburban owner

Mel281

I am also testing both of those right now. Drove a '15 Ody Ex-L w/ DVD and next a Sienna XLE. Both had push button starts. It might just depend on your trim level. Blind spot warning was in both mirrors on Sienna, but the Ody would have it in the Touring (Elite?). What the Ody did have was a camera in the right mirror that turns on with your right blinker.
We are going with an Ody. I hated the Seats inthe Sienna. There was this weird rubbery fabric that looked like leather but felt gross on the third row, the eight seat, and the seat backs and arm rests in the front. I also found the Sienna had less leg room and not as car seat friendly. I think the seat bottoms were overly inclined or something. It did seem quieter than the Ody, but the leg room and yucky feeling fabric were deal breakers for me, not even considering the car seat stuff.

Mel281

Also, a 3 across situation is a lot more likely in the Ody 2nd row. The eight seat in the Sienna I don't think can have a car seat installed. It is sometimes nice to do 3 across if you need the rear for cargo.
Mirrors might help the RFers see the DVD player. I'm hoping to get the DVd to keep my sanity. Sometimes I need quiet.

FWIW, I have a Toyota mechanic (two actually) in the family. Even he admitted the Odyssey was a much better van overall. It's a lot of little things that add up big. Things like the vents blowing air under the front seats have a lip in front on the Odyssey so crap won't roll in, where the Sienna doesn't. In the 3rd row, the 2nd row seats have space to slip your feet under in the Ody while it's a lot more blocked in the Sienna. The 3rd row folding mechanism in the trunk of the Sienna has these thick plastic blocks that get scratched a ton over time, where the Odyssey is just all smooth carpet. There's more examples, but that gives you an idea of what I'm talking about.

Plus the more important things on a board like this such as more LATCH positions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC