2015 LATCH changes and updates

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
In Feb. 2014, the new rule for LATCH labeling on car seats came into effect. It requires that car seats have a label clearly stating not to use lower anchors (top tethers exempted from this requirement) over a child weight which equals no more than 65 lbs combined with the car seat weight (less than 70 if using the top tether forward facing.) In advance of this, many vehicles changed retroactively to come into agreement with the new standard, either to 65 combined child plus seat limit, or to defer to the car seat instructions. In the year since the standard came into effect, more have chanIged (most retroactively- when not retroactive it's noted.)

I do not address top tether anchor weight limits when used with seatbelts in this post. If you wish to know yours, you can post to discuss it. In many cases the top tether anchor limit defers to car seat instructions. In some, the parent may need to choose whether or not to keep it attached. I'm happy to address reasons I as a parent will always use a tether on a forward facing seat and the risk-benefit assessment in another post. In any case, when the lower anchors are used forward facing, use the top tether.

Lower anchor weight limits:

65 lbs combined child plus seat limit:

Audi
BMW
Buick
Cadillac
Chevrolet
Chrysler
Daewoo
Dodge
Fiat
Ford (model year 2014 and newer only)
Geo
GMC
Hummer
Hyundai
Infiniti (model year 2014 and newer only)
Jeep
Kia
Lincoln (Model year 2014 and newer only)
Mercedes-Benz
MINI
Mitsubishi
Nissan (model year 2014 and newer only)
Oldsmobile
Pontiac
Porsche
Ram
Rolls-Royce
Saturn
Subaru*
Tesla
Volkswagen

*This brand provides a separate, lower weight limit of 48 lbs COMBINED seat and child weight for the lower anchors if you install forward facing without using the top tether. Use the top tether!

Vehicle manufacturer defers to car seat manufacturer instructions, follow the instructions with your car seat:

Acura**
Coda
Ferrari
Honda**
Infiniti (model year 2013 and older only)
Jaguar
Land Rover
Lexus
Maserati
Nissan (model year 2013 and older only)
Scion
Toyota
Volvo

**these brands make an exception for Sunshine Kids/Diono SuperLATCH. You may only use Diono/Sunshine Kids seats made before February 2014 with lower anchors to 35 lbs rear facing or 40 forward facing (child weight.)

48 lbs child weight:

Ford (model year 2013 and older only)
Lincoln (model year 2013 and older only)
Mercury
Saab (forward facing car seats must use a tether)

Vehicle manufacturer doesn't state a limit-assume 65 lbs combined child plus seat limit:

Isuzu
Mazda
Suzuki

Child restraints made since February 27, 2014, and a few before that, already have weight limits on the labels. If you have one of these seats, no need to look up your seat here. A selection of child weight limits for using lower anchors if your vehicle requires a 65 lb combined limit and your seat is older than February 2014 and lacks the new limits on the label follows. These are based on the manufacturer-provided weights and do not apply in every case. If the manufacturer states a lower limit than the limit that would apply based on the combined limit, I'll state that instead. Not all seats are included. Feel free to ask about yours if needed. No rear-facing only buckets are included because there aren't any on the market where the weight of the seat plus a child at the maximum weight would exceed 65 lbs. Weights of seats were rounded to next lb up when applicable to avoid fractions of lbs.

Please note: Dorel seats are sold under Cosco, Safety 1st, Eddie Bauer, Disney, Maxi-Cosi, and many other brands.

CHILD weight limits in lbs if your vehicle has a 65 lb child plus seat limit- this is the weight of the CHILD only based on the combined limit:

Britax Advocate*: 44
Britax Boulevard*: 46
Britax Decathalon*: 48
Britax Diplomat*: 48
Britax Frontier (all versions): 40 lbs
Britax Highway 65: 40
Britax Marathon original/Classic*: 48
Britax Marathon (New versions): 40
Britax Roundabout (original 40 lb version):40
Britax Roundabout 50: 40
Britax Roundabout 55: 40
Chicco Nextfit (all versions): 40
Clek Foonf, rear-facing: 27
Clek Foonf, forward-facing: 32
Combi Coccoro: 40
Combi Zeus (all models): 35
Diono/Sunshine Kids Radian RXT/XTSL**: 38
Diono R120/Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL**: 39
Diono R100**: 42
Sunshine Kids Radian 65SL**: 40
Dorel All-in-One/All-in-One Sport: 50
Dorel Alpha Elite/Alpha Omega Elite: 49
Dorel Alpha Elite 65/Comfort 65/Deluxe 3-in-1: 48
Dorel Apex: 49
Dorel Complete Air: 49
Dorel Complete Air 65: 50
Dorel Complete Air LX/70/65LX: 48
Dorel Go Hybrid: 55
Dorel Summit 65/Eddie Bauer Deluxe Harness 65: 49
Dorel XRS/Guide 65/EasyFit 65: 53
Dorel Prospect, Adjustable High Back Booster, Alpha Elite (40 lb version), Apt, Avenue, High Back Booster, Intera, OnSide Air, Priori, Scenera, Summit, Eddie Bauer Sport, Highback, and Deluxe Convertible: May use to full weight limit of seat
Evenflo SureRide/Titan 65: 50
Evenflo SecureKid: 50
Evenflo Symphony: 40
Evenflo Tribute, Titan, Chase, Maestro: May use to full harness weight limit.
Graco Argos 65/70: 44
Graco ComfortSport/Classic Ride/Ready Ride 50: full weight limit
Graco Headwise: 44
Graco MyRide (all models): 48
Graco SmartSeat: 32
Graco Nautilus: 45
Graco Nautilus SafetySurround: 44
Graco Size4Me/MySize 70: 47
Harmony Defender: 46
Kids Embrace (all harness seats): 45
Peg Perego convertible: 43
Recaro Como: 47
Recaro Euro: 46
Recaro PerformanceRide: 45
Recaro ProRide: 44
Recaro Signo: 43
Recaro PerformanceSport: 40
Recaro ProSport II: 44
Recaro ProSport: 40
Recaro YoungSport: 40
Tomy (First Years, Learning Curve, Lamaze) TrueFit models: 43

*These limits only apply to seats that state a 48 lb limit. Check your seat and manual as later seats state 40, which should be followed instead.
**Diono seats made after March 2014 comply with the newer standard. Seats made before that with SuperLATCH do not state a limit on use regardless of manufacturer limit if the vehicle was made on or after 9/1/2005. However, documents submitted to NHTSA during the review period show that erroneous assumptions were made. It may be prudent to follow the vehicle limits in this case, though since the instructions conflict this may be a "tough choice." If seeking advice on SuperLATCH, I suggest starting a new thread for discussion.

If you have any other questions, as always, ask away! Hopefully this list will help you help yourself, rather than having to ask each time you borrow someone's vehicle what the limits are. :)

Last edited:
ADS

jasminegrl

Do you know the weight of the Maxi-Cosi Pria? My son is only 33lbs clothed so I think we still have a little bit but it can't hurt to know when to move him to a seatbelt install.

DD is 36 clothed so I think I may just switch our radian xtsl to a seatbelt install now rather than wait it out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Haha, one of the few I skipped. Without TinyFit, 46 child weight. The model with TinyFit, 45.

Do you know the weight of the Maxi-Cosi Pria? My son is only 33lbs clothed so I think we still have a little bit but it can't hurt to know when to move him to a seatbelt install.

DD is 36 clothed so I think I may just switch our radian xtsl to a seatbelt install now rather than wait it out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
(I would just like to point out that after all the times we asked if they were SURE the Graco Nautilus and Argos weighed dramatically different amounts and they said they were SURE, it seems, once rechecked for the new edition, it was indeed an error, likely a typo or recording error. Ahem. *resists urge to dance around yelling "told you so"*)

lgenne

I am so confused about my RF Radian R100 with SuperLATCH in my 2013 Honda Odyssey. What's the weight limit there?

MUTigers

Thank you so much for the info! I was just recently looking for it. So helpful to have the weights for each seat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am so confused about my RF Radian R100 with SuperLATCH in my 2013 Honda Odyssey. What's the weight limit there?

If it was made since Mar. 2014, follow the limit on the side of the seat.

If it was made before that, Diono states no limit on use, that you can always use lower anchors, while Honda says 35 rear facing and 40 forward facing.

Because this is complicated, I suggest starting a new thread to get input on SuperLATCH and what decisions we would make in your shoes.

lgenne

35 lbs rear-facing; 40 lbs forward-facing.

Ok, thanks. He's still under 35 pounds and will be 3 in a few weeks, at which point I think we're going to FF him in the Ody, and that will be the end of Radians in the Ody, probably forever. Unless I can convince DH to keep him RF, anyway.

kaharris83

I have an Easy Fit 65 in a Honda. I can't find a LATCH limit in the manual. If the manual doesn't list one does Honda have a weight they defer to?
Posted via Mobile Device

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Editing my previous response due to a facepalm moment.

I'd personally use 65 combined as my default, but I'm not sure what the "official" answer is.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Honda defers to the car seat, so if the car seat doesn't list a limit, go by 65 combined.
For an EasyFit, that's 53 lbs child weight.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC