What Seat in the Front Seat?

kathysr98

I know the 'biggest harnessed kid in the front' rule, but when does it become better to put a kid in a backless booster in the front due to the additional HE room? All of the potential front seat riders are 6-7 years old and successfully ride in boosters on a regular basis. The trips are short, so no concerns about sleeping, but they are in high traffic, moderate speed areas.

ADS

rosey2007

Im not sure how to answer that one. I know in the state were i live its illegal to have a child sit in the front seat if they are under 12 i think.

kathysr98

Im not sure how to answer that one. I know in the state were i live its illegal to have a child sit in the front seat if they are under 12 i think.

This is only done with four children in a five passenger vehicle. I'm certain it's a better choice to have one in the front. :)

Keeanh

This is just me... Assuming it's legal where you are... If *I* was choosing to transport these children, or was being paid for it, etc., I'd put my own child in the front. If this was a situation that was somewhat forced on me and I would rather not transport the children, I would put the oldest of the other people's kids in the front.

If it was illegal, I'd put my own child in the front to limit liability.

gigi

This is just me... Assuming it's legal where you are... If *I* was choosing to transport these children, or was being paid for it, etc., I'd put my own child in the front. If this was a situation that was somewhat forced on me and I would rather not transport the children, I would put the oldest of the other people's kids in the front.

If it was illegal, I'd put my own child in the front to limit liability.

Me too.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I didn't scroll far, but the first state I saw with a 11 and under rule also had an exception for no back seat, or other kids in the back seat...http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/safetybeltuse
The only law you might be breaking is if the state requires proper use and the booster says it can't be in a seat with an airbag. But it's all so unlikely to be a problem, it wouldn't even concern me. Oldest child in NBB, seat slid back, reminders to sit properly, good to go.

kathysr98

This is just me... Assuming it's legal where you are... If *I* was choosing to transport these children, or was being paid for it, etc., I'd put my own child in the front. If this was a situation that was somewhat forced on me and I would rather not transport the children, I would put the oldest of the other people's kids in the front. If it was illegal, I'd put my own child in the front to limit liability.

The driver puts her own child up front for similar reasons. (not me doing this, I own a seven passenger vehicle) Among the children, one of hers is the oldest & the other is the biggest, so it's the better choice anyway.

bnsnyde

DH took kids skiing. I found out on the way there 7 YO rode in front, and 8 YO on way back. Husband's skis from 1802 or something silly (when they were really long) would not fit in the trunk, so he had to angle them somehow. And the kids wore full snowpants in their seats!

They were both in a highback Recaro Prosport (I love that seat, btw).

I was away with 3 of the kids and the van.

Not saying it's the worst thing in the world, but I wasn't too happy.
Our car is a Civic and really too small for us, I think.
Only fits 2 kids and we'll have 6. Plus no side-air bags (2005).

A 5-year-old died yesterday near us. Hit head on. Was in a carseat in, I think, the back, is all I know. No idea if properly in it or not; and it was close to 0 so I am assuming a bulky coat was worn. Very scary! A 17-year-old swerved into them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC