Fancy new safety features on DH's new car.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Just got DH's new Infiniti Q50, and took the first voyage...in the snow. Worst snow we've had in years. It's got AWD and the fully loaded computer package. And since I never post in this forum, I have no idea what that's called :cool:

Anyway, we had to decide fast to stop for a light, and the seatbelts squoze me right into the seat as we stopped. We got too close to another car during a traffic moment, and it slammed on it's own brakes and scolded...I mean...beeped a warning at us. It's even got orange lights on the rearview mirrors, inside, when someone's outside in your blind spot.

So, three cheers for modern technology helping us drive :dance: (especially the older Us's who can use all the cameras and beepers and brakes we can get, or the younger Us's who want to park in a 90 degree angled single car garage without bashing the side mirrors off)

Anyway, I hope all this technology funnels down into regular cars at more affordable prices, but I don't mind spending the money for this right now since A) It's cheaper than DH's dream car, a Tesla. And B) We don't have to wait eons to get it. :D

ADS

tl01

The car my mom just got rid of also monitors how your are behaving as a driver. If you look like you are getting sleeping the steering wheel starts vibrating and it beeps at you. It also looks at how you are driving and if you are drifting it alerts you too. Her's had the fancy seat belts. They grab you every time you buckle up just to make sure you have a tight belt fit before you get going;). I love my blind spot monitor. It was one of the reasons I got the TE odyssey and the following too close monitor was the reason I got the 2014 TE odyssey.

kathysr98

My mom's Edge has the blind spot lights and following too close breaks, but no squeezing seat belts. I like the blind spot monitor, but the following too close thing irritates me. I think it's because she sets it on the longest setting and I get behind a slow car on the interstate and don't notice the car has slowed by 10 mph until I've been following them forever!

thepote

My 05 Odyssey has the seatbelt tensioner, which I've had engage a couple times over the years during hard braking. Is it the same idea or a "smarter" version?

tl01

The following too close thing would be a hazard here. Can you turn that off?

I probably didn't explain the odyssey one well. Mine only beeps if you are approaching the car in front of your too quickly and it doesn't so anything to your driving. It just warns. My dad's car will do most of the driving for you... And keep a safe distance and surprisingly it isn't very intrusive. He drives through LOs Angeles traffic everyday. The systems are becoming pretty cool.

tl01

My 05 Odyssey has the seatbelt tensioner, which I've had engage a couple times over the years during hard braking. Is it the same idea or a "smarter" version?

I guess similar idea. I'm sure all the systems are a little different. My moms car starts by really tightening up when you first get in the car to check your belt fit. It's pretty cool.

thepote

I guess similar idea. I'm sure all the systems are a little different. My moms car starts by really tightening up when you first get in the car to check your belt fit. It's pretty cool.

I'm just curious because I've owned the Ody for almost 10 years and can only think of twice that the tensioner has activated. Seems like more of a last-chance kind of thing in that gen Ody, and not the active, kicks-in-at-the-stop-sign kind of thing the OP (or your mom, sounds like) seems to have.

jwilliams

The only fancy safety feature my new car has is a back up camera. I love it so much! I look like the world's greatest parallel parker, and it really helps with backing into my narrow garage (which is off a narrow alley). I really thought about going up a trim level for the lane watch and speed control features, but at least 75% of my driving is just putzing around a small town, so I couldn't justify it.

I hope the features do trickle down - the seat belts especially.

tl01

I'm just curious because I've owned the Ody for almost 10 years and can only think of twice that the tensioner has activated. Seems like more of a last-chance kind of thing in that gen Ody, and not the active, kicks-in-at-the-stop-sign kind of thing the OP (or your mom, sounds like) seems to have.

It is certainly less sophisticated in the Ody but it has come in handy a few times. Actually the day after I got this Ody I was driving down the hill from our house and someone stopped suddenly for no apparent reason. My eyes were looking straight but more in front of the car in front of me than at the car... and I didn't catch the second she threw on her brakes because I could see there was no one in front of us in either direction... my fault for being slightly distracted... but the car totally saved me from a bigger issue. It isn't very intrusive which is nice but the fancy system on my dad's car isn't intrusive either... it's sort of funny that way. My dad thought we wouldn't like it but he does appreciate it more than expected.

Rm2000hg

The car my mom just got rid of also monitors how your are behaving as a driver. If you look like you are getting sleeping the steering wheel starts vibrating and it beeps at you. It also looks at how you are driving and if you are drifting it alerts you too. Her's had the fancy seat belts. They grab you every time you buckle up just to make sure you have a tight belt fit before you get going;). I love my blind spot monitor. It was one of the reasons I got the TE odyssey and the following too close monitor was the reason I got the 2014 TE odyssey.

What car does your mom have? I need a steering wheel that beeps when I get drowsy.

aporthole

Subaru's EyeSight technology is amazing. You can get a 2015 Legacy AWD with the Eyesight package for right at $25K. Pretty amazing especially for the price. We opted out of the Eyesight package but even without it we have the blind spot monitoring which has been really handy.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician

That's not how your pretensioner works. It only engages if you crash. It's a pyrotechnic charge and can't activate twice.

Possibly you are confusing vehicle sensitive retractors...that swing a pendulum if the center of gravity of the car changes to lock the retractor...causing the lap belt to tighten as your upper body loads the shoulder belt...with the newer technology of which Jools speaks.

thepote

That's not how your pretensioner works. It only engages if you crash. It's a pyrotechnic charge and can't activate twice. Possibly you are confusing vehicle sensitive retractors...that swing a pendulum if the center of gravity of the car changes to lock the retractor...causing the lap belt to tighten as your upper body loads the shoulder belt...with the newer technology of which Jools speaks.

That must have been what it was, then. I guess I hope to never experience the actual pretensioner :)

SavsMom

Subaru's EyeSight technology is amazing. You can get a 2015 Legacy AWD with the Eyesight package for right at $25K. Pretty amazing especially for the price. We opted out of the Eyesight package but even without it we have the blind spot monitoring which has been really handy.

My parents have Eyesight in their Outback - it's such a nice feature particularly for my mom who isn't the best drive.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC