Which seat?

Hey everyone! I've got a question I'm hoping I can get a little help with! Ever since my DD's old seat had to be discarded she has been riding in her spare seat an Evenflo Sureride. She has PLENTY of room to grow in her harness in this seat, but for an everyday seat I would like some more side impact foam. I was hoping to booster her in about 6 months in a Britax parkway but I don't think she will be ready for at least 1- 1.5 more years. I'm thinking about getting her a Frontier 90. The only thing is at 5.5 she is only 33lbs and 41". With those stats would it be smarter to just get the Pioneer 70 instead? I highly doubt she would need the height of the Frontier. Price isn't really a factor, and it won't be passed down because my DS will get his own Frontier when his Marathon is outgrown. Anyway I would appreciate some opinions! :)

ADS

Dillipop

It depends on how the pioneer installs in your car. If it's easy and you don't move the seat often, the pioneer is probably fine. If it's tough or you move the seat regularly, the click tight on the frontier is worth it's weight on gold.

Cnidaria

At the 2nd-3rd percentile for height & weight, she *definitely* won't need the height of the Frontier! :-D

The big advantage of the Frontier over the Pioneer, though, is the ClickTight install. It's pretty dreamy.

One thing to be aware of is that the Frontier in booster mode may not fit well until the child is close to outgrowing the harness. The seatbelt sometimes doesn't want to retract when the headrest and shell are overlapping a lot. But it's going to be a long time until she's close to outgrowing the harness, so it might potentially not be usable as a high back booster for her.

Have you checked out the Argos, Defender and SecureKid? It might be helpful to just get hands on them and see what you think of the padding.

Thanks for all the responses! I figured the Frontier might be a bit much for someone her size. I used to have a Nautilus, how similar is the Argos? The thing is that where I live there isn't a store that actually carries these seats within 100 miles. I guess I get nervous because where I live (a rural mountain town)even though there are FAR fewer car accidents than a bigger city, the ones that do happen here are usually devastating. I regularly drive with the kids on a very curvy two lane mountain hwy with deer, ice, and vacationers who don't know how to drive up here. If you are going to crash it's going to be either a head on collision going 60+mph or your going to go off the road and roll down a mountain. So yeah, knowing my situation are there any other seats you guys would suggest? I drive a '13 Hyundai Elantra.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Argos is pretty much exactly like the Nautilus in install. The only big difference in use is the no-rethread harness that you simply pull up to adjust.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I like the deep sides on the SureRide, yes, the foam is thin, but the plastic has some give to it, which adds some good protection, too. I'd not be in a rush to buy something else unless she's really unhappy in it, because combo seats as boosters are just so finicky. If she needs a cupholder, the Brica Snack Pod fits it great, too. But you might also look into the Recaro Pro Sport, it's suited to her smaller size and your smaller car better than the Frontier. Argos, like KQ notes, basically IS a Nautilus, just no rethreading. Probably a good choice for a petite kiddo (very short crotch strap, probably not great if she's a skirt wearer or if you must wear snow pants in the car).

She has no complaints about the Sureride. I guess it isn't necessary to buy her a new seat immediately, these roads just make me a bit nervous. I'm a worrier lol. I will look into the Recaro, thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC