seat for 8 year old?

CMeMeC

Any booster recs? He is 8 (newly 8), tall and skinny. Not sure on his height and just over 60lb. It will be in a spot without latch and no side airbags. Bonus points if it's orange!

ADS

CMeMeC

Any idea on torso height? I am guessing you prefer hbb since no side airbags?

Not really. He has a parkway, but when the back is adjusted where it needs to be, it's almost hitting the top of the car. It does in some cars. He also has a probooster. It's too tippy for my 3rd row. We also have an incognito. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Would that be "enough" seat for his main seat?

CMeMeC

Not really. He has a parkway, but when the back is adjusted where it needs to be, it's almost hitting the top of the car. It does in some cars. He also has a probooster. It's too tippy for my 3rd row. We also have an incognito. I'm not sure how I feel about it. Would that be "enough" seat for his main seat?

Torso height...I'll have to check tomorrow. He's asleep. He wears 8/10 in shirts if that helps.

aept

Ok he's probably about the same size as my 8 1/2 boy. Mines 53" tall and 62ish lbs and wears 8/10 shirts. Mine has a slightly longer torso than legs as he just recently needed to switch to size 8 pants a few months ago but has been in the 8/10 shirts for a year and a half, and now even has a few size L shirts.
Anyways, my guy seems to be at or over the top height for many HBBs so that's why I asked how important that was for you.
At least, (I'm guessing from your signature), you could maybe pass the seat down, even if he only fit in it for a short time?
There is a Graco turbobooster with safety surround that comes in an orange/grey. But I am sure my son would have outgrown the high back portion already.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't know why there's not an Orange AMP, but that'd be a cool choice, there's a blue flame one... http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-20...JBoC6Prw_wcB&dclid=CKyc___K5sMCFVMKgQodpR8AVg
Or a Realtree Ambassador? http://coscojuvenile.djgusa.com/en/...58--1/ambassador-trade;-auto-booster-car-seat
My dd's not embarrassed about boosters, and sometimes prefers the armrests and cupholders on a real one over her Incognitos. The Amp and Highrise/Ambassador are nice deep seats for bigger kids. Harmony Olympian might also work, but we've always had such low low shoulderbelt anchors I can't use anything that raises my kids up high, so I always forget it, if your shoulderbelt anchors are high, it might be fantastic.

CMeMeC

I don't know why there's not an Orange AMP, but that'd be a cool choice, there's a blue flame one... http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2057498/evenflo-amp-select-booster-car-seat.jsp?ci_mcc=ci&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=98823473&CID=shopping15&gclid=CjwKEAiAx4anBRDz6JLYjMDxoQYSJAA4loRmyxjWRCeQpeiIUTYtL4lqAGheJDiR2UJnhGjYRpGJJBoC6Prw_wcB&dclid=CKyc___K5sMCFVMKgQodpR8AVg
Or a Realtree Ambassador? http://coscojuvenile.djgusa.com/en/djgusa/cosco-juvenile/booster-car-seats-10158--1/ambassador-trade%3B-auto-booster-car-seat
My dd's not embarrassed about boosters, and sometimes prefers the armrests and cupholders on a real one over her Incognitos. The Amp and Highrise/Ambassador are nice deep seats for bigger kids. Harmony Olympian might also work, but we've always had such low low shoulderbelt anchors I can't use anything that raises my kids up high, so I always forget it, if your shoulderbelt anchors are high, it might be fantastic.

There is one! I just found an orange amp on amazon. It's a nbb, but I think that's ok for him. He's not embarrassed by boosters either. At least he doesn't seem to be.

CMeMeC

Is there a chart somewhere that compares the seat height? I think he needs a little more than an incognito, but not as much as his amp. It was a hbb, so maybe it's different? He has a Cosco, I think, in grandma's car. It's ok, but shallow.

bnsnyde

I keep my 8-year-old in a highback in our car without side airbags, because we can. It only fits 2 seats outboard anyway. He is in a Recaro Probooster and we LOVE this seat. He is 56" and 72 lbs. (I also have a new Diono highback I bought just to have, since it gos even higher, if we need that at some point).

In our van, the only booster that fits is an Incognito (in our 3 in a row). He is in the middle seat so I am OK with it. I have no other choice really. I love as much protection as possible and hated to see the day come when he simply gets as much protection as the seatbelt alone, with the Incognito.

I mean, my 21-month-year-old is in a little bubble in her seat, lol, surrounded on all sides by foam. But kids grow and cars get crowded, so we do what we can. What fits. What works.

CMeMeC

I keep my 8-year-old in a highback in our car without side airbags, because we can. It only fits 2 seats outboard anyway. He is in a Recaro Probooster and we LOVE this seat. He is 56" and 72 lbs. (I also have a new Diono highback I bought just to have, since it gos even higher, if we need that at some point).

In our van, the only booster that fits is an Incognito (in our 3 in a row). He is in the middle seat so I am OK with it. I have no other choice really. I love as much protection as possible and hated to see the day come when he simply gets as much protection as the seatbelt alone, with the Incognito.

I mean, my 21-month-year-old is in a little bubble in her seat, lol, surrounded on all sides by foam. But kids grow and cars get crowded, so we do what we can. What fits. What works.

We have a probooster, too. I like it a lot, but it doesn't work in my third row. It tips to the center too much. We also have a vivo. It works much better back there, but I like how it fits my daughter better. The probooster works fine in the middle row, but I then I have to give up a spot with a top tether anchor. A new car would solve all of my issues, but that's not happening either. My son is kind of at an awkward stage. Too big, yet too small. it's true with car seats and with clothing right now. He needs "in between."

CMeMeC

So, I asked him which seat he prefers and he picked our recaro vivo. Great, me too. The problem is, I purchased that seat for his sister and she knows it! They fight over the vivo! Like I said, we have a probooster and while it's also a very nice seat, it tips over and doesn't play well in my third row. Is the performance booster any better? What's available that is comparable to our most loved vivo? I don't really care about converting to a nbb as we have younger kids that can use it later.

Athena

Is there a chart somewhere that compares the seat height? I think he needs a little more than an incognito, but not as much as his amp. It was a hbb, so maybe it's different? He has a Cosco, I think, in grandma's car. It's ok, but shallow.

I was looking for the same type of data, the seat heights of NBBs, and I did not find it. Might be something to add to the measurements section (hint, hint :D).

Did you say how tall he is? The Safety 1st Air boost is one of the taller HBB. I've read the performance booster is not tippy, assuming he's short enough to still fit in it. The topside NBB is fairly short, but the seat depth isn't great (yet it's deeper than the vivo). HTH!

Last edited:

CMeMeC

I was looking for the same type of data, the seat heights of NBBs, and I did not find it. Might be something to add to the measurements section (hint, hint :D).

Did you say how tall he is? The Safety 1st Air boost is one of the taller HBB. I've read the performance booster is not tippy, assuming he's short enough to still fit in it. The topside NBB is fairly short, but the seat depth isn't great (yet it's deeper than the vivo). HTH!

I'm not sure how tall he is. I haven't measured him in a while and he's always asleep when I think about it (he is now). We have a little Cosco booster, might be a topside or similar, and he seems to push it forward toward the edge of the seat. I might just try the parkway backless and see how it fits. It isn't all that tall (thick?). I so prefer harnessed seats!

Athena

I'm not sure how tall he is. I haven't measured him in a while and he's always asleep when I think about it (he is now). We have a little Cosco booster, might be a topside or similar, and he seems to push it forward toward the edge of the seat. I might just try the parkway backless and see how it fits. It isn't all that tall (thick?). I so prefer harnessed seats!

We usually end up at the doctor's office often enough to have fairly current height measurements. :( I would try the PKWY backless. We would have done that when the back was outgrown if it had provided a good fit in that car. Taking the back off offers more seat depth and it latches, so he can't scoot it. I much prefer latching boosters for that reason. Hope it works! Another latching option is an affix. HTH.

CMeMeC

We usually end up at the doctor's office often enough to have fairly current height measurements. :( I would try the PKWY backless. We would have done that when the back was outgrown if it had provided a good fit in that car. Taking the back off offers more seat depth and it latches, so he can't scoot it. I much prefer latching boosters for that reason. Hope it works! Another latching option is an affix. HTH.

Ours is the SG model so no latch (it's also the older style). I think it's a little bigger so maybe he won't push it forward. Latch would solve that, but we don't have latch in our third row and need the second row for the harnessed seats (for top tether anchors).

Fortunately, we don't visit the doctor frequently. None have medical conditions that require it and I typically don't take them for illnesses unless I have to (that's happened maybe 3 times between all 3). But, my guess would be about 4.5'.

Athena

Ours is the SG model so no latch (it's also the older style). I think it's a little bigger so maybe he won't push it forward. Latch would solve that, but we don't have latch in our third row and need the second row for the harnessed seats (for top tether anchors).

Fortunately, we don't visit the doctor frequently. None have medical conditions that require it and I typically don't take them for illnesses unless I have to (that's happened maybe 3 times between all 3). But, my guess would be about 4.5'.

It's definitely better to not have to go to the doctor. ;) I was thinking he was taller than that, but now I see it's not that he's outgrown the PKWY back, but that your vehicle's ceiling is too short for it. For that size, there should be quite a few NBBs that'll work.

Sorry, I forgot you said you didn't have latch in that position. Hopefully, a deeper seat will help then. I think I saw some seats having 15" depths in the measurements section, but I don't remember which ones and don't have time to look at this moment.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Have him try the amp but take the back off. If that works well- it may push him forward less letting him sit a bit lower- you could get the orange one...

CMeMeC

Have him try the amp but take the back off. If that works well- it may push him forward less letting him sit a bit lower- you could get the orange one...

I have. It works okay, but it's taller than he needs. It makes him really tall. Maybe that isn't a safety concern? He has head support behind him, and it adjusts. He's just at an odd point where he is too young/small to go without anything, but I'm having trouble finding something we both like and feel is safe.

Athena

I have. It works okay, but it's taller than he needs. It makes him really tall. Maybe that isn't a safety concern? He has head support behind him, and it adjusts. He's just at an odd point where he is too young/small to go without anything, but I'm having trouble finding something we both like and feel is safe.

Does the shoulder belt fit properly? It doesn't put him too high for it? That's the problem my 8yo has had, but she's quite a bit taller. I'm not sure what you mean by it makes him really tall? I guess that is one of the taller NBBs though?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC