Installation Issues!!!

SnowMomma

I have a 2011 Subaru Outback. My children are SON: 2.5yr, 38'', 32lbs and DAUGHTER: 5yrs, 41", 42lbs. We own a Britax Advocate 70CS (circa 2010) and a Diono Radian RXT (circa 2012?)They were great for us when we were able to use LATCH in the two outboard positions (rear-facing). My daughter is now FF in the Britax (after 4.75 years RF!!!!!) and we are using LATCH but need to switch to seatbelt install ASAP as she is 1lb over the LATCH limits with the new laws. We have tried and tried to install a carseat (we've tried both) with the seatbelt and we just get SLOP! Like, 3 inches of side to side movement!!!! What are we doing wrong? I know there are some awesome installers out there who might have tips etc. I'm so distraught about this. I'm about to throw both seats in the trash and sell a kidney to buy the Foonf so I can still use LATCH and the seatbelt. Is there one of my seats that should be easier to install with the seatbelt? They just end up crooked and sloppy. (obviously we still want to rear-face our son, but they are okay switching seats if one is better in the FF position with the seatbelt).
HELP please!! If you know of good tutorial/vidoes etc that would be so helpful. My son is nearing the weight limit for LATCH with the Radian so we need to figure out how to seatbelt the Radian RF ASAP as well.

ADS

SnowMomma

Additional info: It seems like our seat bight is sloped and doesnt' have that crack until about two inches up the back seat. Is this why it's so sloppy? Also, we are using the Angle adjuster with our RF diono.

aporthole

I'm a bit confused about who is in which seat. I'm asssuming the 2 year old is the one now rear facing in the Radian since he has to be quite close to the rear facing limit of the Britax (1" of shell, not headwings, above head). The 2 year old should still be well within the lower anchor weight limit (65 lbs of child plus car seat). In that case your daughter would be in the Britax forward facing. If you raise the headwings of the Britax all the way up, how much space does your daughter have above her shoulders before being level with the harness in its highest position?

aporthole

I looked it up and your son can use lower anchors in the Radian until he is 38 lbs.

The forward facing Britax should be a very easy install. Are you following the manual and using the built in lock off?

aporthole

With the rear facing Radian, you will get a better install if you place the toes of the rear facing boot on the seat surface with the toes on the seat surface butted up against the the seat back, not in the raised bight (crack). Route the the seat belt through the belt path, buckle, get a good grip on the shoulder belt right after it makes the turn through the latch plate (male end of buckle) and then use the other hand switch the seat belt into locking mode. While still holding onto the shoulder belt right after it turns through the latch plate, put lots of pressure straight down at the foot area of the Radian right near the vehicle seat back while removing all slack from the lap portion by pulling on the shoulder portion. When you have all your slack removed, carefully feed all the slack back toward the shoulder retractor without letting any tension off the belt. After the seat is fully installed then, lift the back of the Radian with a shoulder and slide the Angle Adjuster under from the back until it butts up against the feet of the rear facing boot.

spytfyre13

I'm having the same issue. Apparently Subaru's suck for installing car seats, didn't know this when we bought ours. I can't get a good seat belt install on my brand new Defender. The techs told me the seats are too smooth, almost like leather seats. It looks like I'm going to have to get another vehicle. Weather to trade or buy a really old cheap used vehicle to tote the kids around in...yay, so safe right? But that's all I could afford. I just want to cry. I bet this is the same problem you're having. LATCH is fine but my 4 year old only has another 7 or so lbs to use the LATCH on her seat. Mean time, my 12 year old is badly squished in between the Defender and an infant carrier seat.

MommaMia

(Disclaimer: we have a 2011 Legacy - not sure if seats are same)

We used a RF Radian and RF/FF Britax for a few years without major issue. Both installed easier with LATCh, but we got a seatbelt install too. Radian had the angle adjuster. The key to the install was being able to get in the car and maneuver yourself around the seats. I could never get an install if I tried to stay outside the car and lean in. The seats are a pain, but it does work. If you're willing to buy another seat, look at the britax Frontier. We upgraded to these as both kids are FF now. Breeze to install in the Subaru

aporthole

I'm having the same issue. Apparently Subaru's suck for installing car seats, didn't know this when we bought ours. I can't get a good seat belt install on my brand new Defender. The techs told me the seats are too smooth, almost like leather seats. It looks like I'm going to have to get another vehicle. Weather to trade or buy a really old cheap used vehicle to tote the kids around in...yay, so safe right? But that's all I could afford. I just want to cry. I bet this is the same problem you're having. LATCH is fine but my 4 year old only has another 7 or so lbs to use the LATCH on her seat. Mean time, my 12 year old is badly squished in between the Defender and an infant carrier seat.

It is not the same problem she is having. Your flat seats are not the problem. Newer model Subarus are not overly difficult to install seats in. Just because the techs you saw were unable to install the Defender with seat belt doesn't mean it can't be done. It may just take someone more familiar/experienced with the Defender. You don't need a new car, you just need to keep trying the install yourself. You've been given a lot of great tips and tricks to try here and on CSFTL on Facebook.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC