HBB for a Volvo S60 2004? [continued] [picture-heavy]

_juune

Here's my previous post. In short the situation is like this: DD is 5. I have a MaxiCosi RodiFix, which seems to provide good lap belt fit but is not as supportive when DD falls asleep, she does stay upright but leans to one side away from the seatbelt leaving it far out on her shoulder, I think it's simply because the RodiFix is so wide. Also I have a BeSafe iziUp Fix which works nicely in all ways except positioning the lap belt, it sits quite high imo.
I tried about bazillion different boosters in my car yesterday. About each and every one has some kind of issue fitting, either impossible to buckle or a huge gap behind the back because of Volvo's non-removable forward leaning headrests. The Recaro Milano [similar to Vivo] which I hear works in some Volvos didn't fit at all, the side of it was so close to the buckle that I couldn't get it to click in, certainly not in a way I'd be happy to repeat every day.
Cybex Solution X2Fix seemed to kinda work, not too huge gap behind the back, side wings move up with the headrest so it might be more supportive than the RodiFix, actually possible to buckle. It was certainly not as easy to buckle as the armrest-less RodiFix or iziUp, but doable; it has rigid isofix anchors and I actually pulled it away from the buckle the few milimeters anchors allow it. Here's what I'm unsure about: when buckled the top part of the buckle tongue was kinda pushing against the side of the Solution X2Fix. Is that a problem, aside from making buckling up harder? The side of the Solution X2Fix is rounded and it was only the top of the buckle tongue thouching, the rest was not.
Here are some pictures:
lap belt fit in the RodiFix:
picture.php

overall fit in the iziUp; lap belt is high, right?:
picture.php

bonus: DD in the Britax-Romer KidFix XP, once isofix-ed in it's almost free-standing, touching the backrest of the seat only on it's lower part; huge gap behind it's top part:
picture.php

position of the buckle with the Cybex Solution X2Fix [also view from the top: http://www.car-seat.org/picture.php?albumid=286&pictureid=2262]:
picture.php

same thing with the Britax KidFix SL [different shell than that of the FidFix XP]:
picture.php

My options right now are:
(a) The fit with the iziUp is not that bad actually. Keep using it.
(b) DD will learn to stay upright in the RodiFix. Keep using that one.
(c) The Cybex Solution X2Fix fits fine, it's worth a try.

What do I do? :( And I thought boosters were going to be easy.

P.s. what do I do to make pictures appear as nice small clickable thumbnails?

ADS

tobypuppy

Why not go with the Romer?? Or what about the kid fix? Both look good to me. ETA: Just saw that the kid fix was hard to buckle. What's the issue with the romer? The gap seems fine to me.

_juune

Why not go with the Romer?? Or what about the kid fix? Both look good to me.
The Britax-Romer KidFix XP is very, very upright because it doesn't at all fit well with the backrest of the car's seat, plus I'm not sure the huge gap behind the back is allowed [I'll look it up in the manual later]. The Britax-Romer KidFix SL was pretty hard to buckle, I also don't really remember if it wit nicely wit the forward leaning headrest [I tried that one a while ago, other were yesterday]. Both Britax also are not that well padded; that might not be the most important thing, though.
Yeah, of the two seats that we own DD finds the iziUp more comfortable because it has more padding.

tobypuppy

Is the romer so upright that your dd finds it uncomfortable? If so, your only legal options, IMO, are to use a low back booster or rear face your dd in a britax two way elite... Unless you want to import a US highback booster or frontier... The lap belt on the iziup seems to be far too high. ETA: What about the Britax Adventure? Are you sure you've tried all the European highback boosters?

gigi

Did you try the Rodi (not the RodiFix)? My nephew used that in a 2002 Volvo for a long time. I think it fit and it wasn't wide (he was in it from 3-7).

My vehicle also has headrests that mess up booster fit, so I empathize. It really limits options.

I think you could teach your daughter not to lean in the Rodi you have. She just has to tip her chin up as she is falling asleep.

babyherder

Have you tried teaching your dd to lean towards the shoulder belt when she sleeps? I have a Volvo too. I love it for harnessed seats but boosters drive me nuts.

_juune

Is the romer so upright that your dd finds it uncomfortable? If so, your only legal options, IMO, are to use a low back booster or rear face your dd in a britax two way elite... Unless you want to import a US highback booster or frontier... The lap belt on the iziup seems to be far too high. ETA: What about the Britax Adventure? Are you sure you've tried all the European highback boosters?
DD didn't get to sit in the KidFix XP long enough to tell if it's comfortable or not. But I checked the manual and if using isofix the car has to be on the KidFix's vehicle list [it's not, either they didn't test because the 2004 S60 is not that new a model, or because they deemed that it doesn't fit]; if not using the isofix, then the backrest has to be flush with the vehicle seat's backrest which it is totally not :( So that one's out.
DD likely still fits in rear facing seats like the Britax TWE or Axkid MiniKid, she probably even still has at least 6 months or so remaining in the Britax MaxWay that we own but it's DS's seat now [he's 1 year old]. Unfortunately anything bigger rear-facing than the MaxWay takes up too much front-to-back space.
Not many stores offer to try a seat in the car before purchas here, and none that do have the Adventure. I did try: Recaro Milano and Recaro Monza Nova, Concord Transformer XT, Britax KidFix XP and KidFix SL, Cybex Solution X2Fix, Jane Montecarlo R1 Isofix, MaxiCosi Rodi AP and RodiFix, Bellelli Miki.
I have no issues with older kids in backless boosters, but DD is only 5 so too young imo [for full time NBB at least]; anyways the RodiFix is certainly no worse than a backless.

Did you try the Rodi (not the RodiFix)? My nephew used that in a 2002 Volvo for a long time. I think it fit and it wasn't wide (he was in it from 3-7).
Yes, the Rodi AP was what I intended to get initially, because I actually have heard about somebody using it successfully in a Volvo S60. Didn't work in my car, though :( The seats are very bucketed, the Rodi kinda "sank" right into the lowest part of the seat and it's armrest completely covered the buckle, not possible to buckle at all :(

My vehicle also has headrests that mess up booster fit, so I empathize. It really limits options.
:yeahthatsad: Feels like getting a new car would be easier :p

I think you could teach your daughter not to lean in the Rodi you have. She just has to tip her chin up as she is falling asleep.
She actually does that on her own and quite well, she doesn't lean forward at all, just to one side.

Have you tried teaching your dd to lean towards the shoulder belt when she sleeps? I have a Volvo too. I love it for harnessed seats but boosters drive me nuts.
It seem's that we'll be working on that. For some reason when asleep she always leans in the opposite direction [away from the belt] and she also lowers the shoulder that the belt goes over :shrug-shoulders:

_juune

Have you looked at the actual Volvo high back booster?
Hmm. In Europe Volvo's booster is or used to be same as the Britax Kid [the older kind with the black shell]. I'm not sure the Britax [or Romer] brand Kid is around anymore, it's the new white shell ones everywhere. I'll see if I can find it though. I'm afraid straight from the Volvo dealership with a it would be way more expensive; a few years ago I checked the price on Volvo brand MultiTech and it was about 50% more than the regular one.

finn

Can you get the Monterey over there? Ds uses it in my parents volvos, buckling it in is tight but he can manage it himself and it fits nicely with the fixed headrest.

Or you could buy a two way elite and use it ff until she doesn't sleep in the car anymore?

_juune

It appears that we're sticking with the RodiFix. DD has managed to stay pretty upright while asleep in it lately. In truth she doesn't even sleep in the car that often any more, which in part is the problem as she gets to practice the staying upright thing only once in a while ...
When I bought it I thought I'd like the RodiFix a lot, but sheesh the body sidewings are soo far apart if the headrest is adjusted up any distance, and DD isn't even that tall, 113cm only.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think a few of us are wondering why that IIHS site shows it being so low as being ideal, there's never been a mandate to have the lapbelt flat across the thighs, always just 'low, bottom edge touching' the thighs. After having seen some truly heinous belt fits over the years, all of yours looked fine to me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC