Questions about Scenera NEXT RFing height limits

Cnidaria

So the Scenera NEXT has a 40" standing height limit for RF. Is the shell height limit that the child's head can be even with the top of the shell? Not 1" from the top like many carseats?

Does anyone have a sense of whether most kids will be able to get to the full 40" standing height limit before they hit the shell limit? I imagine the longest-torsoed kids might hit the shell limit first, but I really don't know.

ADS

Holly

Their head can be even with the top of the shell with that one.

I'm not sure how comfortable it will be for most kids though.
I just bought one recently for my 10 month old, only 20 lbs. The crotch strap is super short and was difficult to buckle on my son. It's only allowed to be in the 1st or 2nd slot when RF and I already had it in the 2nd but it was still too close to him.
He wears cloth diapers so that area is a little bulkier than some other babies, but still. It was unusable for us and I had to return it.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Yeah, unfortunately this is the one seat that will be outgrown by lack of crotch strap room way before any kid gets close to outgrowing by weight or height.

The crotch strap is a normal length (same length as the regular Scenera just a different buckle) but the design of the shell takes up a lot of the length. That's the problem.

Dorel is aware of the problem. The more people complain, the more likely they are to work on a solution in the near future.

Cnidaria

Ooh, veeery interesting. Thanks very much for the info.

So assuming that they come out with a longer crotch strap, what do you think about the height issue?

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I think the shell height is comparable to an APT 40, right?

I sat my long-torsoed daughter in an APT 40 at the store when she was approximately 38"-39" tall (I'd say 3 months before her 3rd birthday at which point she was 40" but that summer was a huge growth spurt). She had maybe half an inch above her head at that point. So for a long-torsoed child I'd say it would be a tight race whether they'd outgrow the shell or the 40" first. 40" is realistic, but some children may outgrow it sooner.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
My five year old would have made it to the solid 40" and head at the top at about the same time. At 42.5" her head is about an inch above the top now. She's also just above 40 pounds, so for her all three limits would have happened at once (she is proportional). She would have gotten to over four, but not quite five.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7541/16087817810_e28df6c4f4_h.jpg

She's too big, but she modeled for me. I also had the crotch strap on the outermost slot (I'd last had her in it forward facing to demonstrate something, and I just installed it rear facing to demonstrate something else) so she was perfectly comfortable.

Wendy

Cnidaria

Cool. So except for the short buckle issue, it seems like the only advantage the SureRide has over the NEXT for RFing would be for particularly long-torsoed kids. And the NEXT has the *significant* advantage of being able to be installed more upright. Cool.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC