Install in 3rd row of '04 Odyssey

AmandaBreanne

I'm really irritated that I can't do a seatbelt install in the third row of our odyssey. The graco my ride (or whichever clone it is) requires a tether for a seatbelt install. Why?!
I used to be under the impression that it was one or the other. LATCH *or* seatbelt.
Is it just because it's a graco? Would I have this problem with a britax? Or other brand?

ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you're in Canada, it's mandatory there to top tether any forward facing harnessed carseat installation. I'm not aware of Graco requiring using the top tether with a forward facing seatbelt installation in the U.S., although it's highly recommended in general to use the top tether for any forward facing harnessed carseat installation because top tethering serves to reduce head excursion, the amount the child's head moves forward/beyond the carseat's protective shell/headwings during a crash. The only recent/current carseats that immediately spring to mind for requiring top tethering in the U.S. are various Britax combination seat models, such as the Frontier85/Frontier90/Frontier CLICKTIGHT, Pinnacle 90/Pinnacle CLICKTIGHT, and Pioneer/Pioneer70 models, which require top tethering for a child weighing 65 lbs. and up in harnessed mode, and which recommend top tethering in harnessed mode below 65 lbs. because of the safety benefit of reducing head excursion.

I'm not sure if you're already aware of this, but it bears mentioning that there is a factory equipped third row center top tether anchor in the '04 Ody, located on the rear cargo sill at the rear of the cargo area, so your van is already factory capable of having a top tethered FF harnessed carseat installed in the third row center. :dance: Also, the LATCH manual indicates 2 third row outboard top tether anchors can be retrofitted in '01-04 Ody models using Honda top tether anchor retrofit part number 82410-SE3-C01, called a "plate assembly" by Honda and retailing for approx. $13 per part at Honda dealerships. There are two outboard 8mm weld nuts in the rear cargo sill for installing the additional top tether anchors. Detailed instructions for retrofitting the additional top tether anchors are in the Honda vehicle's owner's manual, and the third row outboard top tether anchor retrofit can be a do-it-yourself job using a torque wrench and tightening the bolt to a torque of 16 lb-ft (22 Nm) per the LATCH manual's Honda section. (Being able to retrofit additional top tether anchors is a rarity in vehicle models that are already factory equipped with some top tether anchors in some seating positions, and '00-04 Honda Odyssey models are among the rare exceptions).

AmandaBreanne

THANK YOU SO MUCH! SO - now, here's my next question.... The Graco MySize 65 is installed in the middle position in the third row and it is tethered... It is installed with the lap belt portion only.... from what I can tell, I will need to secure it with the locking clip. THANKS in advance!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Nope, no locking clip. You just follow the lap belt install instructions in your manual for that position, ignoring the shoulder part, and pulling tight locks the belt. :)

AmandaBreanne

Even though it doesn't have an automatic locking feature?
Sorry for the questions... Just want to finish it right. And the cpst around here isn't avai on Fridays.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC