Question Most affordable harnessed seat for my 5 year old?

november

Hey there!

We are doing a big carseat switcharoo at our house -- I just ordered the new Britax Pioneer for my 5 year old for our car but she's also outgrown the convertible carseat in my parents' car. I just dropped $250 on the Britax so my budget is slim pickin's for my mom's replacement carseat.

Please recommend the most inexpensive harnessed carseat for these specs :

5 years old
48lbs
Was 43" tall at her WCV 2 months ago
Wears size 6 clothing

She only rides with my mom once a week at most so it doesn't have to be super comfortable, just something that will last her several more years and is as cheap as possible. Which is the best seat for this criteria? (I do have an infant son who could use the seat after she outgrows it in a few years if that plays in to your suggestion)

ADS

thepote

Yes, definitely the SureRide (it's other name is the Titan65, not regular Titan though).

It's a convertible, but the top slots are nearly as high as the Frontier making it one of the budget seats we recommend here for older kids. You have a younger child to hand it down to that could use it rear facing or forward facing, so it would be perfect for you.

bnsnyde

Just bought a Sureride!

Love it. It's for the 3.5 YO and will last him FF for a long time. He is (what I thought) at the top slots already with plenty of room to grow. I see that the one slot lower might be even with his shoulders, but it's hard to tell. He is 50 lbs, 90% for height (not sure how tall) and usually wears size 5 clothes. Dad is 6'4"!

This is his full-time seat and I got it because it fits our 3 in a row and has a high harness height. I sold our Frontier 90. Too big and bulky to deal with and totally wouldn't fit our setup.

Keeyamah

I'll just 4th the Sureride/Titan65 :). My 55lbs and 47" five and half year old still fits, and my 2.5 yr old, who is 34lbs and 37" ( I think) is on the second to the top harness slots, although the 4th slots would be even with his shoulders, I prefer to have them above for forward facing, although he still fits rearfacing for 3 more inches and 6 more pounds.

Another vote for the Sureride! I bought one around 6 months ago as a secondary seat for DD age 5.5 and I love it. She just moved to the second to last harness slot and has plenty of room to grow! (she is pretty small though)

lgenne

The Sureride is definitely a good option, but the other one to look at is the Harmony Defender. Similar price, top harness slots are high (although not quite as high as the Sureride) and also works well as a booster. The Sureride can rear face, but does not fit front to back in many vehicles, and does not convert to a booster.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC