First look at redesigned 2016 Honda Pilot

ADS

sm1982

I liked the old boxy look better - it stood out in a crowd. Now it just looks like half the other SUVs on the road. The captain chairs are nice though.

SnoGurl

I really like the look of the interior.

I'm a traditionalist though, and prefer the boxy SUV look to the 'sleek' look of nowadays. Of course, functionality beats all, but it does sadden me to see all the manufactures going to this 'sleek' look.

Meg

I liked the old boxy look better - it stood out in a crowd. Now it just looks like half the other SUVs on the road. The captain chairs are nice though.
:yeahthat: I love the boxy look of the Pilot! It looks sort of minivan-ish now. :/ I don't like the console thing in the second row. I'd rather that space be empty, so that it would be clear path for a kid to walk to the third row. So far I'm preferring my 2013 to this new model!

sm1982

:yeahthat: I love the boxy look of the Pilot! It looks sort of minivan-ish now. :/ I don't like the console thing in the second row. I'd rather that space be empty, so that it would be clear path for a kid to walk to the third row. So far I'm preferring my 2013 to this new model!

Yes, it would be nice to have a straight walk through. Even better - no console and captain chairs that can slide together.

clmchrissy

Yes, it would be nice to have a straight walk through. Even better - no console and captain chairs that can slide together.

Maybe it can be removed like in the Highlander. I can have a seat, the console or nothing for a walk way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the look of the older one better. New one looks like a minivan to me too. Happy that they've increased the interior space -- but my real questions are did they manage to widen the 3rd row, and did they uncross the seat belts back there?!

But an 8-seater with 4WD and good ground clearance, improved safety features and increased cargo space is a welcome thing to hear... even if it does look suspiciously van-ish.

SignCuer

I love it! I have been waiting for this to come out. Now waiting for the interior feedback. Will it fit car seats well and how's the cargo space. I hate the boxy look but loved the Pilot but now that they changed it.. I think I'm in love.

However looking at the pics, the 3rd row center seat is narrow?

aporthole

I love it! I have been waiting for this to come out. Now waiting for the interior feedback. Will it fit car seats well and how's the cargo space. I hate the boxy look but loved the Pilot but now that they changed it.. I think I'm in love.

However looking at the pics, the 3rd row center seat is narrow?

The 3rd row center seat has always been narrow and also has overlap with the driver side seat belt. You can't put a car seat there currently, so for me a narrower seat hopefully without overlap is fine by me. I'd be fine if they dropped the center seat altogether and just had 2 wide seats instead.

I also love the sleeked out look more like the MDX. I have a 2011 Pilot now and HATE the boxy look. I had a 2008 CR-V before the Pilot and like the sleeker look. Looks really are least priority in vehicle shopping for me though. Function is my only real concern.

jess71903

Ambassador
Well, that exterior couldn't be any more boring. I am not digging that every SUV on the market now looks like a crossover. I wasn't crazy about the super boxy-ness of the previous generation, but this is too far the other direction IMO.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Pilot was on a platform which normally means no access, but apparently the overseer was allowing select media to have access to the interior. We clearly were not select media. So, we did what anyone would do and came back when he was on lunch break. We waited patiently for our turn, after the pair of automotive manufacturer competitors were taking measurements and photos of the smallest details. Then we got our photos and videos.

This was a 7-passenger prototype, so the 2nd row had only 2 captain's chairs, both with LATCH. There will be an 8-passenger trim available. The two captains chairs were similar to the outboard seats in the Acura MDX with the push-button slide mechanism. The third row does not appear to be an improvement for carseats. I didn't have a tape measure, but it looks no wider than the current model. The issue is there is a large, protruding hardware section for the folding seat mechanism now that is going to be problematic for seats in the center and possibly on the passenger side. There is one LATCH position (passenger side) and 3 top tethers in the third row. On the plus side, the passenger side seat seems a bit wider, at the expense of an even narrower middle seat. The buckle stalks are all flexible and do not appear to crossover, making the center seat quite narrow overall. I'm sure some carseats may fit there, but not many. It's mostly for pre-teens out of a booster I think, but a Bubblebum may work fine.

DawgDad

Love the look of this car! And the added cargo room with the deep well is like how great the Odyssey has is a big plus. I don't think we know enough specifics on the interior space for seats, but Honda's focus here doesn't raise a huge amount of concerns as I would with other manufacturers.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The space behind the 3rd row is still nowhere near minivan capacity, plus there is no well that goes below floor level, either. It's definitely a couple inches longer, but I think not much wider, at least on the inside. In therms of seating 8 occupants, I don't think it's going to be any better than before, and for some, the changes to the 3rd row center seat may be an issue. Not that it was particularly versatile before, so perhaps not a big deal.

I'm on the flip side of appearance. I liked the boxy look, rather than the minivan look. I've always thought that someone should make a minivan to look more truck-like, but I guess the trend is to make SUVs look more like minivans! Good for aerodynamics certainly, and the Pilot looks like it will probably eek out a couple more mpg which is always a good thing.

DawgDad

The space behind the 3rd row is still nowhere near minivan capacity, plus there is no well that goes below floor level, either. It's definitely a couple inches longer, but I think not much wider, at least on the inside. In therms of seating 8 occupants, I don't think it's going to be any better than before, and for some, the changes to the 3rd row center seat may be an issue. Not that it was particularly versatile before, so perhaps not a big deal.

I'm on the flip side of appearance. I liked the boxy look, rather than the minivan look. I've always thought that someone should make a minivan to look more truck-like, but I guess the trend is to make SUVs look more like minivans! Good for aerodynamics certainly, and the Pilot looks like it will probably eek out a couple more mpg which is always a good thing.

I thought the picture showed that there was a lower floor in the cargo area than before...not at bumper height which most SUVs are configured as...am I mistaken from the pictures?

Meg

I thought the picture showed that there was a lower floor in the cargo area than before...not at bumper height which most SUVs are configured as...am I mistaken from the pictures?

That's nothing new though. I have a 2013 and the cargo area is bumper level and then you can lift up the floor and there's extra cargo space underneath. I've had a few SUVs and they've all had this feature. It looks like the new Pilot has a bit more space in the cargo well area, but it doesn't look like a huge difference.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

It's an extra under-floor storage space like in some SUVs but not even as much as the Ford Flex I think.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC