How tall in NextFit? Tight lap straps?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I got two different complaints yesterday, a return because the lap straps were so tight on a chubby 10 month old (with newborn pad out and crotch strap moved out) that he screamed and wouldn't get back in the seat (Key Fit fit him fine). And a 32lb 3 yo (not sure, almost 4?) wearing grandma said 4t shirts and 5 pants and the harness wouldn't loosen enough or get tall enough for grandma to be able to buckle the kid without tons of effort.

Um....so, I've never heard of kids that little being too big for this seat, anyone else encounter this experience with either problem?

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
No problems like that with mine... I used it with a 35-38lb 4yo both RF and FF, and I think also a few times RF with a +/-2yo, 22-25lb...

4yo had tons of space and strap length to go FF. Could have used another crotch spot RF, but... 4yo boy. So it shouldn't have been an issue for even a chunky 10mo. (I moved him to the ProSport out of preference, not any issue with fit. If I'd only had the NextFit for him, it would have been totally fine. We ran into the headrest issue with RF, and at 4 I opted to turn him FF.)

Angie

With my own daughter, I felt like when she was a younger, chubby thing, the leg straps would dig into her thighs. I made sure her shorts (during the summer, obviously) were pulled down to appropriate wearing level and under the strap so the strap wasn't next to skin, which seemed to help. I also made sure not to overtighten the harness. Even still, there would occasionally be a red line across her thighs afterwards, from the lower edge of that strap.

Now that she is taller and has thinned out quite a bit, it doesn't seem like that happens much anymore.

I still plan on buying her the longer crotch strap and replacing it. I'm thinking that should help her be more comfortable through the thighs. I also can't figure out when to change the crotch strap position to the outer one.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC