Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Car Seats for traveling

We are going to be traveling and need to buy a new carseat. I do not want to use the ones that I have installed in my car as we are going to have to gate check the ones we are using.

I already have a Evenflo
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Evenflo-Ti...unlap/19414721

Which I can use for my 3.5 year old who is 33lbs and on the shorter side. I also have a 4 month old who is 13-14 pounds that could use it.

What would be better use it for the 3.5 year old or for the 4 month old? And if you have an opinion on that what other seat then should I buy? I would like to keep it under $100 since we are just using these for travel.

I also have a short 5.5 year old who I will be buying a high back booster for. Any suggestions there too that wont break the bank for a travel seat?

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Car Seats for traveling

Hi!

Even though he's short, the 3 year old could be close to outgrowing that seat because it is so short. If he is forward facing, I'd suggest an Evenflo Maestro as a travel seat that will last a while. (If rear facing, let me know and I can make alternate suggestions.)

For the five year old, look at the Harmony Folding Travel Booster since she's short. It is designed to fit in an overhead bin (so it won't be lost or damaged.) Otherwise you could get a Graco TurboBooster, pack the back in your luggage, and carry on the bottom (so if the back gets lost or damaged at least you have the bottom.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

I'd agree with the harmony folding booster or a TurboBooster for the 5.5yo.

For any children 40 lbs and under, the FAA recommends that they be harnessed in either their carseat or a CARES harness on all flights. If you will be flying with the 4-month-old as a lap infant and the flights are not completely full, you can ask your gate agent whether he or she would be willing to reseat you next to an empty seat -- many airlines will allow you to install a carseat there for your baby.

If you have purchased a ticket for the baby or if it would not be prohibitively expensive for you to do so, I'd recommend doing that -- it's much safer, would eliminate you having to buy travel seats (except for the booster) and would ensure that you would not have to gate check any carseat at all.

If you're interested, here is the link for the FAA information about flying with children: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    Hi!

Even though he's short, the 3 year old could be close to outgrowing that seat because it is so short. If he is forward facing, I'd suggest an Evenflo Maestro as a travel seat that will last a while. (If rear facing, let me know and I can make alternate suggestions.)

For the five year old, look at the Harmony Folding Travel Booster since she's short. It is designed to fit in an overhead bin (so it won't be lost or damaged.) Otherwise you could get a Graco TurboBooster, pack the back in your luggage, and carry on the bottom (so if the back gets lost or damaged at least you have the bottom.)

Thanks...we still rear face the 3.5 year old. But for the few weeks we travel a yes not sure that is the defining requirement. Would you buy the 3.5 yo the evenflo maestro or use the Titan for her and buy the 4 month old a different seat.

It is cost prohibitive for use to buy the baby an airplane seat at this point.

I would buy a Maestro for the 3.5yo and use the Titan for the baby RFg. I would purchase a Harmony LBB for the 5.5yo. You have enough seats to carry, the 5.5yo can carry their own LBB.
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab