Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    CPST Instructor

Low/No Back booster with no armrests?

Is there any low/no back booster with no armrests?

We had a situation yesterday that we honestly couldn't find a good solution for. A Ford Windstar (7passenger- 2nd row 2 seater, 3rd row 3 seater but narrower- center position had LATCH plus head rests & l/s belts in all positions) with 5 kids all under the age of 7.

Here is the way they came in.
    1yr old/20lbs in a EB combo 2nd row driver outboard
    3yr old (almost 4)/roughly 48lbs in a Century combo with 5pt harness still in use- set to expire in Dec. They only have him on the weekends. In 3rd row driver outboard
    4 (almost 5)/roughly 48lbs in NOTHING shared the Centery combo with little brother. Routed between the 3 remaining seats.
    6yr old/55lbs in NOTHING-Routed between the 3 remaining seats.

7yr old/70lbs in NOTHING-Routed between the 3 remaining seats.

This is what we did but I know this isn't a good solution or long term fix.

1yr old into a rf'ing Evenflo Tribute in 3rd row center using LATCH
    7yr old in a Graco no back Turbo in 3rd row pass outboard. But, We had to remove 1 of the arms to get it to fit.
    6yr old in the old Centery in 3rd row driver outboard.
    3yr old in the EB combo converted to a booster in the 2nd row pass outboard
    4yr old in a Evenflo highback booster in the 2nd row pass outboard

My concern is but couldn't find in the manual if we could or couldn't remove one of the armrests on the Graco TB. Mom needs to replace the old Century in Dec and is going to replace it with another no back booster but we need to get 2 narrow ones or 2 no backs with no armrests.

Can anyone tell me of a no back that is narrower then the TB or one that has no armrests that is cheap. Mom has just been layed off from her job so they are on a tight budget now that dad is the sole provider for a family of 7.
    Jenny
    Senior CPS Tech-Instructor & Mommy of 2 girls
    K1 12 yrs old- 61" & 100lbs in vehicle seat belt
    K2 10 yrs old- 59" & 92lbs in vehicle seat belt

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Low/No Back booster with no armrests?

The armrests are required on the TB, they're the lapbelt guides. I don't know of ANY LBB without armrests because they're the belt guides.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by skaterbabscpst View Post
    The armrests are required on the TB, they're the lapbelt guides. I don't know of ANY LBB without armrests because they're the belt guides.

I figured they are but calling Graco tomorrow morning to verify for sure. We just don't know of a good solution for this family and such a narrow back seat.
    Jenny

Maybe Jools can think of something....
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley

Senior Community Member canadianmom2three's Avatar

The confidence converts to noback and has no armrests, but it is not cheap (someone posted it is clearanced at BRU for $50something)...if that helps at all - pic is of total outside seat width, and the red belt guides take the place of armrests - the little black plastic rectangles are the 'armrests' they pop straight up from the seat, or can stay as they are in the pic.

CPS Technician

One of the Clek boosters is no back and doesn't have armrests.

Susan
    Mommy to my angel, Ethan Daniel (8/5/07-8/6/07)
    Mommy to Nicholas (12-29-08) RF'ed to 2.75 yrs in Graco MyRide(crashed) and a True Fit Primier. FF in the TFP and a Graco Nautilus Elite. Nicholas is 2.75 yrs old, 32 lbs and 36" tall.
    Child Passenger Safety Tech

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

I also thought of the Clek with no armrests but that version is only sold in Canada. The Clek sold in the U.S. has armrests. I wish the armless model was sold here, too.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

The FP Safe Voyage belt positioning booster ($40 from Albeebaby or maybe from Amazon) is narrower, approx. 13" across when it's narrowed down to the narrowest setting and can be used as a no-back. It's not armless, though.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanum View Post
    The FP Safe Voyage belt positioning booster ($40 from Albeebaby or maybe from Amazon) is narrower, approx. 13" across when it's narrowed down to the narrowest setting and can be used as a no-back. It's not armless, though.
    Having arms isn't an issue as long as it is narrower then a TB. I am going to let mom know about the FP booster as she needs 2 of them. My only concern is the 7yr old is a little chubby. She was rather squished in the TB.

Mom did say she had this plastic piece that is used on the seatbelt & attaches to the headrest. I think it's one of those plastic belt guides. I did ask if it was OEM and she said it came with the van. I might see if that will work to so we can move the 7yr old out of the booster all together as the seatbelt sat on her hip bones fine just the shoulder belt cut right across her neck.

I am going to call her back tomorrow and schedule to meet with her this week.
    Jenny

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

FPSV booster, definitely! I have a 99 Windstar, which does not have a third row center shoulderbelt or headrest, but otherwise the vehicle should be the same, and three-across the third row is HORRIBLE to figure out. I just did it today using a Britax Starriser Comfy, backless, dialed down to the narrowest setting of 13 inches (same seat as Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster), a Fisher Price Futura (17 inches wide) and a Britax Bodyguard, dialed down to about 14 inches wide. Hayley is tight in these boosters on the narrowest settings, though, so I imagine those kids will be, too--but hopefully the rear-facing Tribute allows more room to buckle than the Futura did in my Windstar.
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Go to oeamtc and look for the crash tests of the 'baby sunny touring'... I'll try to find it, but a picture is worth a million words: backless boosters NEED armrests or the kid will fly off and die. (Or wish they were dead...the results are BAD).

Anyway... ... How about a Parkway (I'll admit I didnt' read closely, but the PW is way easier to buckle in a tight situation than anything with arms). Also an Evenflo Right Fit buckles like a charm if you can find one...maybe a techy person you know has one or two stashed away?
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

CPST Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus3 View Post
    Go to oeamtc and look for the crash tests of the 'baby sunny touring'... I'll try to find it, but a picture is worth a million words: backless boosters NEED armrests or the kid will fly off and die. (Or wish they were dead...the results are BAD).

Anyway... ... How about a Parkway (I'll admit I didnt' read closely, but the PW is way easier to buckle in a tight situation than anything with arms). Also an Evenflo Right Fit buckles like a charm if you can find one...maybe a techy person you know has one or two stashed away?
    We can't do PW due to money constrants (mom has been layed off). I am going to give her a call to inform her we need to get the older 2 into a FP booster. Or I might move one of the younger boys into the back row in the FP and move bigger girl up into the 2nd row with the TB with armrests on.
    Jenny

Senior Community Member scatterbunny's Avatar

PWs are on sale online lately for $69; but the $40 FP booster is a lot cheaper, especially if two are needed.

And yeah, if the older kids are too tight in the back in the FP boosters, switch them around so the biggest kid is in the TB.

Good luck!
    ~Jenny

"When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people." ~Abraham Joshua Hesche