Low/No Back booster with no armrests?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Is there any low/no back booster with no armrests?

We had a situation yesterday that we honestly couldn't find a good solution for. A Ford Windstar (7passenger- 2nd row 2 seater, 3rd row 3 seater but narrower- center position had LATCH plus head rests & l/s belts in all positions) with 5 kids all under the age of 7.

Here is the way they came in.
1yr old/20lbs in a EB combo 2nd row driver outboard
3yr old (almost 4)/roughly 48lbs in a Century combo with 5pt harness still in use- set to expire in Dec. They only have him on the weekends. In 3rd row driver outboard
4 (almost 5)/roughly 48lbs in NOTHING shared the Centery combo with little brother. Routed between the 3 remaining seats.
6yr old/55lbs in NOTHING-Routed between the 3 remaining seats.

7yr old/70lbs in NOTHING-Routed between the 3 remaining seats.

This is what we did but I know this isn't a good solution or long term fix.

1yr old into a rf'ing Evenflo Tribute in 3rd row center using LATCH
7yr old in a Graco no back Turbo in 3rd row pass outboard. But, We had to remove 1 of the arms to get it to fit.
6yr old in the old Centery in 3rd row driver outboard.
3yr old in the EB combo converted to a booster in the 2nd row pass outboard
4yr old in a Evenflo highback booster in the 2nd row pass outboard

My concern is but couldn't find in the manual if we could or couldn't remove one of the armrests on the Graco TB. Mom needs to replace the old Century in Dec and is going to replace it with another no back booster but we need to get 2 narrow ones or 2 no backs with no armrests.

Can anyone tell me of a no back that is narrower then the TB or one that has no armrests that is cheap. Mom has just been layed off from her job so they are on a tight budget now that dad is the sole provider for a family of 7.

ADS

skaterbabs

The armrests are required on the TB, they're the lapbelt guides. I don't know of ANY LBB without armrests because they're the belt guides.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The armrests are required on the TB, they're the lapbelt guides. I don't know of ANY LBB without armrests because they're the belt guides.

I figured they are but calling Graco tomorrow morning to verify for sure. We just don't know of a good solution for this family and such a narrow back seat.

canadianmom2three

The confidence converts to noback and has no armrests, but it is not cheap (someone posted it is clearanced at BRU for $50something)...if that helps at all - pic is of total outside seat width, and the red belt guides take the place of armrests - the little black plastic rectangles are the 'armrests' they pop straight up from the seat, or can stay as they are in the pic.

IMGP1832.jpg

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I also thought of the Clek with no armrests but that version is only sold in Canada. The Clek sold in the U.S. has armrests. I wish the armless model was sold here, too.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The FP Safe Voyage belt positioning booster ($40 from Albeebaby or maybe from Amazon) is narrower, approx. 13" across when it's narrowed down to the narrowest setting and can be used as a no-back. It's not armless, though.

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
The FP Safe Voyage belt positioning booster ($40 from Albeebaby or maybe from Amazon) is narrower, approx. 13" across when it's narrowed down to the narrowest setting and can be used as a no-back. It's not armless, though.

Having arms isn't an issue as long as it is narrower then a TB. I am going to let mom know about the FP booster as she needs 2 of them. My only concern is the 7yr old is a little chubby. She was rather squished in the TB.

Mom did say she had this plastic piece that is used on the seatbelt & attaches to the headrest. I think it's one of those plastic belt guides. I did ask if it was OEM and she said it came with the van. I might see if that will work to so we can move the 7yr old out of the booster all together as the seatbelt sat on her hip bones fine just the shoulder belt cut right across her neck.

I am going to call her back tomorrow and schedule to meet with her this week.

scatterbunny

FPSV booster, definitely! I have a 99 Windstar, which does not have a third row center shoulderbelt or headrest, but otherwise the vehicle should be the same, and three-across the third row is HORRIBLE to figure out. I just did it today using a Britax Starriser Comfy, backless, dialed down to the narrowest setting of 13 inches (same seat as Fisher Price Safe Voyage booster), a Fisher Price Futura (17 inches wide) and a Britax Bodyguard, dialed down to about 14 inches wide. Hayley is tight in these boosters on the narrowest settings, though, so I imagine those kids will be, too--but hopefully the rear-facing Tribute allows more room to buckle than the Futura did in my Windstar. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Go to oeamtc and look for the crash tests of the 'baby sunny touring'... I'll try to find it, but a picture is worth a million words: backless boosters NEED armrests or the kid will fly off and die. (Or wish they were dead...the results are BAD).

Anyway... :)... How about a Parkway (I'll admit I didnt' read closely, but the PW is way easier to buckle in a tight situation than anything with arms). Also an Evenflo Right Fit buckles like a charm if you can find one...maybe a techy person you know has one or two stashed away?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Go to oeamtc and look for the crash tests of the 'baby sunny touring'... I'll try to find it, but a picture is worth a million words: backless boosters NEED armrests or the kid will fly off and die. (Or wish they were dead...the results are BAD).

Anyway... :)... How about a Parkway (I'll admit I didnt' read closely, but the PW is way easier to buckle in a tight situation than anything with arms). Also an Evenflo Right Fit buckles like a charm if you can find one...maybe a techy person you know has one or two stashed away?

We can't do PW due to money constrants (mom has been layed off). I am going to give her a call to inform her we need to get the older 2 into a FP booster. Or I might move one of the younger boys into the back row in the FP and move bigger girl up into the 2nd row with the TB with armrests on.

scatterbunny

PWs are on sale online lately for $69; but the $40 FP booster is a lot cheaper, especially if two are needed.

And yeah, if the older kids are too tight in the back in the FP boosters, switch them around so the biggest kid is in the TB. :)

Good luck!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC