older kids, 10 years plus in high back booster - pics?

Aurinia

So my step daughter, just turned 10, has apparently.said she doesn't want to travel in a booster seat anymore. (she does in our car) and her mum has requested we don't brig one. (not gonna happen) anyway, was hoping that some of you would be quelling to show some pics of older kids still in booster seats, preferably high back, as we have one that still fits her easily.

Thanks!

ADS

sirrahn

Unless your vehicle doesn't have headrests, personally, I can't imagine why you'd insist on a 10yr old's riding in a hbb. Any backless booster she finds comfortable or the incognito would be very appropriate and quite possibly better accepted by her and her mother.

jwilliams

I think OP is in Australia, and they likely do not have the Incognito.

This article may help. It has pictures of "big kids" with and without boosters, showing the difference in belt fit.

http://carseatblog.com/3966/the-5-step-test/

A high back booster would be completely appropriate, as long as your vehicle offers head support.

Morganthe

I would if I could, but dd outgrew her hbb Monterey booster when she was 9. She's been backless since. Actually, now she 5 steps in every car except my very deep seated Passat. She can use the seatbelt and technically be correct, but she prefers her booster for more comfort & to see better out of the windows. Whenever a friend takes a short rides with us, she switches over to the passenger side. Longer rides, I have an extra nbb.

It might be one of those battles where you take the middle ground & compromise... not a full booster, but instead, a backless booster. If her dad supports that too, it will help.

good luck.

Lemonade

My 9 yr old DS still rides in a HBB. He's on the smaller side though. I feel like a HBB or NBB would be appropriate for him but if he still fits in the HBB then why switch.
I would try to get a smaller NBB that the child really likes and thinks is comfortable then she can use it with her other parent and have buy-in because she likes it better. As for your own car, whatever she fits in and you think is appropriate and legal...

Aurinia

Unless your vehicle doesn't have headrests, personally, I can't imagine why you'd insist on a 10yr old's riding in a hbb. Any backless booster she finds comfortable or the incognito would be very appropriate and quite possibly better accepted by her and her mother.

Im in the UK but we've got the bubble bum as an option.

We are going to do the 5 step test to see how she fits. If she doesn't pass we've got a hbb which she definitley fits in, if she refuses that and we can't reason we will probably get the bubble bum.

jaemom

We are going to do the 5 step test to see how she fits. If she doesn't pass we've got a hbb which she definitley fits in, if she refuses that and we can't reason we will probably get the bubble bum.

I agree. My 9 and 10 year olds are in backless boosters. They might still fit in a few high backs, but I'm picking my battles? Most kids their age haven't used any booster on ages.

bnsnyde

My 8 YO is 56 inches (72 lbs.) and most of our no backs (he uses a variety depending where in the van he sits) go to 57 inches.

Then we'd put him in a high back if he outgrows the lowback? I have highbacks that go to 63 or something similar. Not that these would fit where we need them though.

Seems kind of backwards.

Athena

How big is she? Unless she's really small, I wouldn't get a bubble bum for a 10yo. It's really tiny and doesn't fit bigger kids well. Even my 6yo lacks leg support in it and says it's uncomfortable. There are other LBB options in the UK, aren't there?

My 9 yr old DS still rides in a HBB. He's on the smaller side though. I feel like a HBB or NBB would be appropriate for him but if he still fits in the HBB then why switch.
I would try to get a smaller NBB that the child really likes and thinks is comfortable then she can use it with her other parent and have buy-in because she likes it better. As for your own car, whatever she fits in and you think is appropriate and legal...

Yours isn't the only big kid in a HBB. :) If it works ...

Last edited:

StillThankful

Assuming she doesn't 5 step, I think an lbb would be a great compromise as the other pps have stated.;)

My 8 year old (in 3rd grade) has 2 hbbs but also has a Princess lbb (we won off of here :D) for when we ride with someone else. She is bugging me about switching all her boosters into lbbs now. None of her friends even use a booster. I can switch her Graco TBB to an lbb but the Britax Frontier 85 doesn't convert to an lbb.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC