All you CPSTs or owners of a Prius...

marigold

I had to swap vehicles for a short period of time and have a prius in my possession for 24 hours. I went to install my babys carseat and is it my imagination or is there are huge round bar in the crack of the back seat that runs the length of the backseat and prevents me from getting to the lower anchors down there (which I did eventually find, but really had to dig for)?? I actually had to do a belt install on my keyfit 30, which I can do but admit to being out of practice for (mental note: go practice!).

Also, as I was trying to get the belt locking mechanism to engage (you know like it would in a sudden crash to prevent you from flying forward, it seemed like it was not all that sensitive and didn't engage all that readily or reliably.

Can anyone talk to me about these two issues? I want to take the car out again for an errand, but don't love the install I have right now. Also, this happen's to be my BIL and SIL's car, and I suspect that when they get around to having a baby (if that happens) they will not be the type to overly care about a great install, so I'd like to research how to best handle carseats (and which ones) in a Prius so I can be ready with info and good recommendations for them if they are willing to accept it. Thanks!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know about a huge round bar, but the Prius can be difficult to access lower anchors in.

Luckily the keyfit install is easy with the base! You don't need to lock the belt. Just pull the shoulder portion through the lockoff on the base once you have tightened. :) if you're having difficulty getting it tight because the buckle hits the belt path, you can twist down the buckle stalk up to three full turns.

oakster

We drove an older Prius for years and rent newer ones often--you do have to dig for the LATCH anchors but they are definitely there and should be straightforward to use once you locate them. I was amazed that our new car had access points cut out of the foam, though! :) The belt should lock like normal--never had an issue there, so that could be their particular car (and worth getting checked out if it really doesn't lock). The only issue we ever had was making sure to get compact car seats that fit well depth wise--otherwise I found it a pretty easy car to work with for seats. HTH!

ETA: We've used a Britax Marathon G3, Cybex Aton, and Combi Coccoro--all fit well with room to move front seats back.

FedBaby

I'm pretty sure our middle seatbelt in the 2006 Prius does not ratchet in after you get to a certain point -- I mean I tried to make the seat belt lock with no one in it (to prevent kids from playing with it) and at a certain point while feeding the seatbelt back in, it stopped ratcheting and just went back in... I tried again and same thing. (Now it's just tucked behind a side of carseat so it's not too accessible...)

Could that be what you're talking about?

1mommy

I'm pretty sure our middle seatbelt in the 2006 Prius does not ratchet in after you get to a certain point -- I mean I tried to make the seat belt lock with no one in it (to prevent kids from playing with it) and at a certain point while feeding the seatbelt back in, it stopped ratcheting and just went back in... I tried again and same thing. (Now it's just tucked behind a side of carseat so it's not too accessible...) Could that be what you're talking about?

Did you buckle it? I kept trying to ratchet mine in (Avalon tho, not a Prius) until I realized that unless it's buckled it will just go back to normal! Duh! Mommy brain!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC