Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

All you CPSTs or owners of a Prius...

I had to swap vehicles for a short period of time and have a prius in my possession for 24 hours. I went to install my babys carseat and is it my imagination or is there are huge round bar in the crack of the back seat that runs the length of the backseat and prevents me from getting to the lower anchors down there (which I did eventually find, but really had to dig for)?? I actually had to do a belt install on my keyfit 30, which I can do but admit to being out of practice for (mental note: go practice!).

Also, as I was trying to get the belt locking mechanism to engage (you know like it would in a sudden crash to prevent you from flying forward, it seemed like it was not all that sensitive and didn't engage all that readily or reliably.

Can anyone talk to me about these two issues? I want to take the car out again for an errand, but don't love the install I have right now. Also, this happen's to be my BIL and SIL's car, and I suspect that when they get around to having a baby (if that happens) they will not be the type to overly care about a great install, so I'd like to research how to best handle carseats (and which ones) in a Prius so I can be ready with info and good recommendations for them if they are willing to accept it. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: All you CPSTs or owners of a Prius...

I don't know about a huge round bar, but the Prius can be difficult to access lower anchors in.

Luckily the keyfit install is easy with the base! You don't need to lock the belt. Just pull the shoulder portion through the lockoff on the base once you have tightened. if you're having difficulty getting it tight because the buckle hits the belt path, you can twist down the buckle stalk up to three full turns.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Here is a video showing lockoff use. Seatbelt install at 24 seconds. http://youtu.be/TfEjp9iNRqc

When you are done, check for tightness only with one hand, right where the belt goes through the seat. Less than one inch movement is fine.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy
    We drove an older Prius for years and rent newer ones often--you do have to dig for the LATCH anchors but they are definitely there and should be straightforward to use once you locate them. I was amazed that our new car had access points cut out of the foam, though! The belt should lock like normal--never had an issue there, so that could be their particular car (and worth getting checked out if it really doesn't lock). The only issue we ever had was making sure to get compact car seats that fit well depth wise--otherwise I found it a pretty easy car to work with for seats. HTH!

ETA: We've used a Britax Marathon G3, Cybex Aton, and Combi Coccoro--all fit well with room to move front seats back.

But again, with the lockoff on the Keyfit base, you don't lock the belt.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

I'm pretty sure our middle seatbelt in the 2006 Prius does not ratchet in after you get to a certain point -- I mean I tried to make the seat belt lock with no one in it (to prevent kids from playing with it) and at a certain point while feeding the seatbelt back in, it stopped ratcheting and just went back in... I tried again and same thing. (Now it's just tucked behind a side of carseat so it's not too accessible...)

Could that be what you're talking about?

Right. If it didn't stop ratcheting at some point, you'd never be able to get it out again!
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

Quote Originally Posted by FedBaby View Post
    I'm pretty sure our middle seatbelt in the 2006 Prius does not ratchet in after you get to a certain point -- I mean I tried to make the seat belt lock with no one in it (to prevent kids from playing with it) and at a certain point while feeding the seatbelt back in, it stopped ratcheting and just went back in... I tried again and same thing. (Now it's just tucked behind a side of carseat so it's not too accessible...) Could that be what you're talking about?
    Did you buckle it? I kept trying to ratchet mine in (Avalon tho, not a Prius) until I realized that unless it's buckled it will just go back to normal! Duh! Mommy brain!
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria