Infant seat recommendations?

Mommy!

We're expecting our fourth in six weeks, and need to buy an infant car seat. Definetely looking for something reasonably priced (read:not too expensive :) ). If it went to a higher weight limit (30, 35 lbs) that would be a bonus. Also if there was an option to buy a second base that would also be a bonus.

Our first three children are pretty big kids, DD and DS2 are both above the 95th percentile in height. DD was 8lb2oz at birth, DS1 6lb2oz although he was 2.5 weeks early, DS2 7.5 or so lbs.

Seat will be installed in 2nd row centre/pass bench seat in a 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan (using Latch) and front passenger seat in a 2006 Ford Crown Victoria (with pass. airbag disabled via a keyed, Transport Canada approved airbag shut off switch). Seat belt in Ford is the type that locks once you pull it all the way out (is it called a switchable retractor?).

Thanks a bunch! :)

ADS

aept

I am current researching things for my fourth baby as well who will also ride primarily in the second row captain's chair in a Dodge Grand Caravan (2010, though)

Here's my thread with my current thoughts about what I want:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=271566

Inwould think you would want to look into the various Graco choices that go up to 35-40lbs. Also the keyfit 30 is popular and mid-range pricing.
I want to look into the Urbini petal "travel system" as well, haven't really done that at all yet but I think the whole thing including the stroller is around $200.

Lastly, just curious who you plan to put where in your caravan and in what seats? I think I have a plan for where my older three will all sit but it's going to be messed up as soon as my oldest outgrows the Vivo.... Our kids are similar ages (it seems from your signature.)

Mommy!

I am current researching things for my fourth baby as well who will also ride primarily in the second row captain's chair in a Dodge Grand Caravan (2010, though)

Here's my thread with my current thoughts about what I want:
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=271566

Inwould think you would want to look into the various Graco choices that go up to 35-40lbs. Also the keyfit 30 is popular and mid-range pricing.
I want to look into the Urbini petal "travel system" as well, haven't really done that at all yet but I think the whole thing including the stroller is around $200.

Lastly, just curious who you plan to put where in your caravan and in what seats? I think I have a plan for where my older three will all sit but it's going to be messed up as soon as my oldest outgrows the Vivo.... Our kids are similar ages (it seems from your signature.)

Right now, 3rd row: DD pass. side in a Graco Turbo HBB, DS2 "centre" latch in an Alpha Omega FF seat. I say "centre" because the latch is more like half on the driver's side; basically using latch takes both the centre and pass. seats. But it's okay because the space makes it easier for DD to buckle. DS2 will probably outgrow the seat and move to a HBB within 6 mths, which will go 3rd row driver's side. He's able to sit well and safely in a booster now though.

2nd row bench seat: DS1 driver's side in a Graco Turbo HBB. Baby would be pass. side, installed with latch.

The reasoning is DD and DS2 can buckle themselves (DS2 only needs help occasionally and will be able to buckle completely alone once in a booster). DS1 has some SN and will probably continue to need help for awhile, at least a year or so. But he stays in position well in the booster.

Our kids ride the school bus so drop off lines etc aren't an issue to consider. It's a matter of having the two who need the most adult help in the second row. Also, DS1 and DS2, if seated together, will act as you would expect two brothers who are barely a year and half apart to do....pester....fight...

aept

In our van we have the 8 year old passenger side third row in the vivo, 6 year old driver's side third row in the frontier (installed with long belt path) and he uses that harnessed still. He is in a booster in our other car though. (Yes they do fight back there!)
3.5 year old in a FF radian RXT driver's side capt chair.

Once DS1 outgrows the vivo then he's going to need to be in a Capt chair and I guess the then-four year old will get demoted to the third row. I hope he can buckle himself by then!
The seatbelt fit at the shoulder in the third row outboard seats is dismal on my kids if they are in a backless booster back there.

kaitlyn

Senior Community Member
The Urbini Petal isn't available here in Canada, neither is the Snugride 40 but the 30 and 35 models are. One of the Snugrides wouldn't be bad (just avoid the 22lb one), or a Keyfit 30 as mentioned above.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC