Carseat Rec for 2015 Dodge Dart SE

kmonty0726

I need a car seat reccomendation for a newborn. I have 5 yo that is an Evenflo Big Kid Sport HBB in the middle of the back seat. I have only begun research for a seat. I am expected to have a smaller baby. I am only TTC. But I like to spend along time researching to be prepared to save for a good seat. With DD I went through 3 seats before I found one I loved, and then we ended up buying a HBB in almost no time at all. We had got an Evenflo Car Seat. ExH suprised me with at only 4 months pregnant with her. I had no chance to research anything. Then we had to clean the seat when she was newborn and he lost one of the buckles to her seat, so we ended up buying a Graco SnugRide 22(Classic Connect, now.) It was okay, I did feel the base was too wide, and the handle was difficult to move. After that, DD was in a Cosco Scenera which I hated. It seemed hard and uncomfortable, we eventually got a True Fit, I loved at first, but then I got divorced, and it was moved in and out of vehichles more often then, and did not fit well in my moms small 2 door car. Now that I am remarried and wanting to expand my family and the DD is a booster, I want to make sure I get the right seat this time. I dont want to waste my money on 5 different seats. I don't mind having an infant seat, a convertible, and then a booster. Me and DH want a few kids. So we can always pass the seats down to the next child. ExH was 5'10 and about 200lbs, and I am 5'4 was about 95lbs before I had DD. I am now 140lbs, DH is however 5'2 and about 110lbs. DD was 7lbs 12.9 oz and 19 3/4 inches long. However when DH was born he was 19 inches long and 5lbs 11oz. So I have a feeling I will have a small baby. I want to be prepared just to be on the safe side. I know I maybe starting early on the research, but I feel its neccesary. If I go to an infant seat I would like to keep under $200, but if Convertible I can go up to $300. The back seat of my car has Hip Room of 52.6 Inches and Leg room of 35.3 inches. I have been looking at a few seats.

Infant seats
Chicco Keyfit30(In love with it, but not sure if I should splurge when they would only be in this seat for maybe a year)
Graco Click Connect 22(I am considering this seat due to the price so I can splurge on a Convertible seat later on. Such as Radian)

Convertible
Maxi Cosi Pria with Tiny Fit(This was reccomended but it reminds me of the true fit and I don't want LO to get too hot like DD did in the TF)
Diono Radian(Ive heard mixed opinions whether this fits a newborn or not)
Britax CT (seems pricey, but love the install, and if LO can last in it till 3 RF that would be great)
Chicco NextFit(Seems bulky, but a good price.)

Other features I would want
Cup holder
comfort foam(nothing too hard or plasticy feeling)
minimal front to back room taken up
Last for rear facing, I want to rear face till 4
Not too bulky
Easy for child to get in and out of

I am wanting to babywear, so I wont be purchasing a stroller for a bucket seat once LO can sit up on its own, we will use DDs umbrella stroller.

Sorry for such a long post, TIA for reading it

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I don't have particular experience with your car, but I think any of the options you've listed are good choices in general, and probably the ones I would recommend based on your budget and desires. I would also add the Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise to the list.

If front-to-back room is a concern, I probably wouldn't want to use a Diono, at least not at the angle needed for a newborn. They tend to take up a lot of room.

Keep in mind that new seats occasionally hit the market, so there might be some other options in another 9+ months.

If you haven't already, you might want to check CarseatBlog's list of recommended seats in case there's something else that strikes your fancy: http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

katymyers

We just had one of these as a rental car, we used our Britax B-Safe infant seat and had to put it in the middle for it to fit front to back. If you anticipate a small baby, make sure you look at ones with low harness slots and a four pound minimum weight limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mindyjoe21

Honestly before getting too set on a seat I would play with installing them in your car. I have a co worker with same car and the front to back space will be an issue with some seats when installed at the reclined angle the newborn needs and the "sides" or bolsters or whatever they are called( how the back seat is shaped) may cause an issue for some car seat bases. I personally installed a Diono radian in her car but that was with an angle adjuster, I don't think it would fit other wise( honestly didn't try with out it) she has a britax marathon G4 installed rf currently for her 18mo and it fits beautifully. She is probably about 5'2" and doesn't have much space behind her seat and the Britax

kmonty0726

I want to RF as long as possible. I am thinking of going with an infant seat first so I can get a better fit. What convertible is good for that around 1 year? I know their will be different seats coming out but I want to try them all out while I aM at BRU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The Graco My Size and 4Ever are good choices, probably the Britaxes after that, and there's a Diono at most BRU's now to try :)

Cnidaria

Here is the list of recommended infant seats for small babies: http://carseatblog.com/9813/recomme...ing_wp_cron=1421946259.3453269004821777343750

I don't know if the Click Connect Snugride 22 is any better than the Classic Connect SR 22, but the latter seat is not good for small babies. The lowest harness slots are too high. (I know, weird, huh, the smallest seat in the lineup fits small babies terribly but larger seast fit small babies great.) The list above has recs for low-priced seats that fit tinies well.

kmonty0726

I am seriously conflicted with infant seats. Do I splurge on Chicco or get the graco because I know we will transition in a year. Chicco has everything I want in car seat except the price tag. I was thinking of Britax boulevard ct but not sure how it would fit such a small baby. Baby would atleast be 5lbs bare minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Chicco has a wider base than the Snugride Click connect, can make it harder to fit next to other seats. On the other hand, it has a built in lockoff, so if it's in the middle with the seatbelt, you get an effortless install (likely, if the seat isn't to 'humpy')

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC