Osteogenesis imperfecta Car seat

mdlog

Hi! I’m writing from the Automobile Investigation Institute (INSIA) in Madrid, we are developing a project about the child system restraint for children with Osteogenesis Imperfecta (a brittle bone disease). The aim of this project is to compare various systems by a crash test with modified dummies and propose improvement for the safety of children with Osteogenesis Imperfecta.

Currently, we are searching child system restraints for children with special needs, because a specific system for this disease doesn’t exist. We need specific information about Columbia Medical TheraPedic Child Car Seat, the ColumbiaMedical Spirit Adjustable Positioning System Car Seat, The Roosevelt, The Hippo, Way elite CDH modified, Hope car bed, Child Carseat Aprica Bettino DX, Carrot 3, E-Z-ON 101M2 harness, to make a choice between the different systems selected.

I would like to know if you could send me information related with the results of the crash test or the safety test according to the FMVSS 213 or the ECE R44 (preferably European regulation). Moreover, I would like to know the results from the analysis of the handling and ergonomics of the system, the content of harmful material, and cleaning and finishing of the system.

If you provide us some of these requests we will be able to choose the appropriate system. The most important thing is the results of the safety test. Otherwise, if you could not provide this information, do you know of a factual restraint system rating for special needs like ADAC or the car seat ease-of-use ratings from NHTSA?

I would be grateful if you could send me this information.

ADS

1mommy

Hi and welcome, unfortunately NHSTA does not release their crash test information - all the information they release if it is passes FMVSS 213 or not.

The one thing I would advise is to look into extended rear-facing car seats- as if a rear facing car seat is in a crash its spreads the the impact of crash along the shell of the car seat- cradling the back, head and neck, as opposed to forward facing where the head and neck and arms and legs fly forward.

Rear facing vs forward facing position in the car - YouTube

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
NHTSA actually does release crash test information, but usually a year or so after the fact, and not all seats are tested each year. I can't remember if I've seen special needs seats on there before. (Unfortunately I don't have links right now--hopefully someone else will provide some.)

This forum is comprised of advocates and parents who usually don't have more information than what's easily available to the public. Manufacturers sometimes participate here, but not often.

You might want to contact some of the large research hospitals who are involved heavily in child passenger safety. Children's Hospital of Philadelphia is one, and the other...is escaping me at the moment, but again, hopefully someone else can provide links.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Having worked extensively with a child with severe OI, I heartily do suggest a high weight rear facing seat be used as long as possible. After that, it is really going to depend on the condition of the child. Since children with OI tend to be smaller and lighter, the child I worked with was able to sit rear-facing until nearly 8 years old, that being said, well before she reached the weight limit on the seat she was using, she had extensive damage to her pelvis necessitated wheelchair use. As she gained in weight, parent transfers became problematic, causing multiple rib fractures as she was lifted and requiring that she have as few transfers as possible. From that point on, she traveled by approved wheelchair, and finally, ambulance transport before she passed away at age 12.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC