Traveling by Bus - few questions

ReachtotheStars

My school does these bus trips. I got my family all signed up for one. Last time we didn't bring a car seat because we have traveled greyhound and there is no need.

That was 5 years ago. Turns out we did need it for the school trip.

This time about an hour after we were on the road a safety video was put that said all children need to be properly restrained.

It was too late at that point. We will be on the same company for this trip. The seat stays on the bus for the day trip.

My oldest son has an evenflo maestro, and that is great they showed us how to install it in the video, as well as an infant seat, and a backless booster.

It was a retractable seatbelt that if you pulled it all the way out it locked. Other problem.

My younger son is in a britax frontier 90. It click tights. The manual doesn't say how to install it with that type of belt. It also isn't on the list of "you can't use these kind of belts."

I am also in desperate need of a back up seat for him. I was going to wait until April for his bday when he turns 4 to get a high back booster as a back up, but we already ran into an emergency where someone had to take off from work to bring us his frontier and give us a ride. It was really bad, and took way too long.

ADS

babyherder

How old are both your sons? What are their heights and weights? My first thought would be to have the younger one use the maestro and the oldest in a booster. A child under age four should not use a booster. Do you have a budget for a new seat?

ReachtotheStars

My oldest is almost 7 with a rare genetic disorder that causes severe autistic symptoms and stunted growth.

He also has low tone, macrocephaly (very large head compared to body), so a loss of head control.

He is 36-38lbs. His weight fluctuates between those two. He is 42in tall with a torso height of just over 13in.

The younger is 3 1/2. He is typically developing. He is 48lbs, 40in tall, and has a torso height of 17+in. I haven't measured his torso since last summer, and I know he is now over the top slots of the graco myride we have.

I also know the buckles on the maestro won't even buckle around him anymore. Checked the harness path and everything is good. There is just no slack left. When I tried to use it as a booster the seat belt routed out below his shoulders.

I have a 1 year old maestro I can sell for some cash, we have 2. My intent was to have one for each boy. I also just got an extra $165 cash over the weekend for some work I did that I can spend.

Dillipop

Are the belts on the bus lap shoulder or just lap belt? If just lap belt, I would install the frontier as normal- pull across, remove obvious slack, close click tight. If any slack is left on the retractable side, I would pull the belt out from the seat without uninstalling, so that the rest of the belt is locked.

If lap shoulder, it sounds just like a locking retractor in cars. In that case, install as usual and no need to lock the belt after, as the click tight does it.

Dillipop

thank you, they are just lap belts.

The click tight may take care of the length.

I think a call to britax may be in order.

At 17" for shoulder height, gettin am evenflo sureride for travel will give you 2 inches of height left as is much easier to install and transport. Lasts to 65 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC