Old vs New Vehicle

1stTimeDad

In a nut shell...would you rather be driving your kids in a newer minivan (2013) with side curtain airbags and all the latest safety features or an older (2001) Dodge ram pick-up truck extended cab (the smaller backseats). DD1 is FWD facing in a Britax marathon and DD2 is rear facing in Britax Marathon. We leased the van 18 months ago but money is getting tight and I am thinking about transferring the lease to save the monthly payment. The truck is paid off and runs fine.

ADS

bubbaray

Definitely the van. Older trucks were not designed to current safety standards. Watch a few crash test videos with the older trucks and you will see what I mean. Also check out IIHS ratings.

1stTimeDad

Thanks for the input. Just to add to the story what if it were just one trip per day. We also have a 2008 Honda pilot which would be the primary transporter. Just checking. I just keep thinking its a 500lb truck and a 4000lb van. Ill check the videos and the ratings. Thanks

aeormsby

My kids regularly ride in 3 vehicles - a 2005 Dodge Dakota, 2007 Saturn Outlook & 2014 Mazda3. I don't feel they're particularly safer in one vehicle over another. The truck doesn't have side airbags but they're both in HBB's in that one due to low/no headrests so that makes me feel better about that aspect.

If money is tight do what you need to do, how old is your older DD? Would it be possible to RF her again if you moved her to the truck?

Dillipop

A 2013 vehicle is going to have more safety features than an older truck. As you pointed out in your original post- it has side curtain airbags and all the safety features.

However, you have a 2008 pilot that presumably also has those safety features and the children primarily ride in that vehicle.

Since finances are not going to allow you to continue your lease- are you turning in the van or will you be rolling it into a less expensive lease on a smaller vehicle?

If getting rid of the 2013 entirely, then properly using the children's car seats in the truck will be fine. Many people do it. Just make sure that the forward facing car seat is tethered and both seats are installed properly and the children are seated in them properly. If dd1 is small enough to rear face in your seats, I'd consider turning her rear facing as well, since it is so much safer than forward facing. Having the children restrained properly will make a big difference overall.

If you're changing the van for a smaller car, then I'd use the smaller car for transport if possible. It will have all those safety features, even being smaller. There is a crash test video somewhere showing an old volvo or other large vehicle taking on a small current vehicle, like a fit or something. The smaller vehicle cam away with less intrusion and injury criteria than the big old hunk of metal. Bigger doesn't always mean safer when you're talking 15 years old (with 15 year old technology) versus 2 years old with newer technology.

DawgDad

So you have a 2001 Dodge Ram (paid for), 2013 Honda Odyssey (lease), and a 2008 Honda Pilot (not paid for)?

Is the Ram your everyonce in a while car and the Odyssey is your weekend car while the Pilot is the "to and from" vehicle during the week?

What people said about safety is true. The standards of safety are much more in the newer Odyssey than the older Ram truck. Plus, it is much easier to get kids in an out of the Odyssey than the Ram.

What about getting rid of the Pilot since there is more room and convenience in the Odyssey? Would that put you over the mileage of the Odyssey? Is the Ram needed for anything or is it just a transportation vehicle?

Dillipop

So you have a 2001 Dodge Ram (paid for), 2013 Honda Odyssey (lease), and a 2008 Honda Pilot (not paid for)? Is the Ram your everyonce in a while car and the Odyssey is your weekend car while the Pilot is the "to and from" vehicle during the week? What people said about safety is true. The standards of safety are much more in the newer Odyssey than the older Ram truck. Plus, it is much easier to get kids in an out of the Odyssey than the Ram. What about getting rid of the Pilot since there is more room and convenience in the Odyssey? Would that put you over the mileage of the Odyssey? Is the Ram needed for anything or is it just a transportation vehicle?

He didn't say what kind of van it is or of the pilot is paid off or not. If it's a dodge, I'd keep the pilot...

1stTimeDad

Thanks for the replies. The crash test pictures of the 01 ram were disconcerting to say the least. Sadly I refinanced the 08 pilot to make room for the van so it has another year before its paid off. The van is a 2013 quest. We have a year and a half left on the lease. We might just suck it up. My wife is a teacher and by the end of the lease both girls might be at her school. She'll have the pilot and I just might drive myself to work in the old truck. For now with babysitting and dropping off and all we need two "family" cars so that's why we decided to lease the van. Thanks again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC