newer Odyssey rusting by door!

bnsnyde

For one winter (the first one in our brand new van in what was 2011) we had the kids climb into the third row via the second row, as intended. Moved the outboard seat forward each time to do this.

Very quickly, that seat broke. Repaired by warranty. But yikes.
The snow and salt from boots (inevitably) got on the bottom part of the door, where it is metal. So, now it's really rusting!!!!

Anyone else have this happen? What a bad design. I am really rethinking things because of this.
Maybe it's good we have too many carseats now to load that way and use the hatch. The worst there is that the seatbacks might get a little dirty.

But seriously, didn't Honda realize that path would include winter weather shoes and should not have exposed metal that will simply rust there?

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Can you post a pic? I'm curious. Every vehicle I've ever had has had exposed metal in the doorways and I've never seen that happen. Perhaps the metal in yours got missed in the painting process?

ETA, the Honda standard corrosion warranty is 5 years from date of original purchase.

bnsnyde

For some reason my pics always get an error and won't post.
The rust is not on the van part itself, but on the sliding door, if that helps. Bottom of it where you'd put your foot to climb in, more or less.

I will call the dealer. It's really worrisome. Looks like if it gets worse the whole door can break off or something, and then we're in trouble!

thepote

Upload the pic to photobucket and paste the IMG link from the picture into the post.

I'm really curious to see where you mean. I can't picture it!

safeinthecar

Are you talking about the curved piece of metal at the bottom corner of the door? That's not a step. That's the door hinge. It's not meant to be weigh bearing or subject to abrasion.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Are you talking about the curved piece of metal at the bottom corner of the door? That's not a step. That's the door hinge. It's not meant to be weigh bearing or subject to abrasion.

That's what I was wondering. Mine actually has a drawing of a footprint with a circle and line through it. (I have a '10, though, so different body style.)

safeinthecar

Pics for the win. Is this what you mean?

I actually went and looked at the manual because mine is an 07 ( also has a diagram like Jennie's) and I was curious. If this piece is what you are referring to then it specifically says on page 172 NOT to step on that.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 66

bnsnyde

Yes, I think that's the part.

We don't step on it, but managing not to drip any snow/salt on that exposed part, while filling up a vanful of kids...well...didn't happen.

I will hope they might cover the rust, as it's quite prolific. We'll see!

DawgDad

I looked over my rust/corrosion warranty info and it indicated sheet metal as being the primary focus of coverage. Come armed with knowing that your initial answer may be "no". The plastic covering is supposed to protect the metal parts you can't see from rusting, so if they are rusting, then that's a defect to the manufacturer. I have scoured the internet and can't find anything on that part being an issue, just a few on the tailgate hinge for electromagnetic corrosion (weird).

safeinthecar

Yes, I think that's the part.

We don't step on it, but managing not to drip any snow/salt on that exposed part, while filling up a vanful of kids...well...didn't happen.

I will hope they might cover the rust, as it's quite prolific. We'll see!

It's still doesn't add up to rusting to the point of fear that it may fall off in just a year, even bare metal shouldn't do that. I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something that just looks like rust. Is it actually eating into the metal or just on the surface? Maybe try rubbing out the rust with a clay bar and see what happens?

bnsnyde

I know a bunch of salt got trapped there the first winter, and when I picked at it, the rust came off on my fingers.

Probably, nothing would fall off. It's unsightly and unexpected in a van that's not old, so if the dealer is willing to help, I'm all for it. If not, then I guess I tried.

Snow mom

It's still doesn't add up to rusting to the point of fear that it may fall off in just a year, even bare metal shouldn't do that. I'm wondering if what you are seeing is something that just looks like rust. Is it actually eating into the metal or just on the surface? Maybe try rubbing out the rust with a clay bar and see what happens?

According to OP the van is a 2011--they just used that door to load into the third row for one winter (in 2011). So I imagine it got some salt exposure for that winter and then didn't get cleaned off or once it started rusting it's just continued for the past 3+ years.

Update us on what the dealer says OP. I'm considering a new odyssey and this is the first I've seen this issue mentioned. I'm glad to be aware of it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC