Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Best convertible car seat for a Toyota Prius

We are visiting my mom in Florida and she has a Toyota Prius. I'd like to purchase 2 convertible car seats to use in her car. My daughter is 5 and is approx 42.5 inches and 37 pounds. My son is almost 3 and is approx 36 inches and weights 34 pounds. What would be a safe seat that would fit in her car? Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Best convertible car seat for a Toyota Prius

Do your kids rear-face or forward-face?

Here is a comparison of how much space rear-facing convertibles take up: http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ult...-size-matters/

If these are travel seats and you don't want to spend tons of money, here is a comparison of budget convertibles: http://carseatblog.com/30022/compari...ats-under-100/

If one or both of them are forward-facing, most seats should fit!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Your daughter sounds pretty small. There are some seats she could still rear-face in for awhile, but I'm guessing you probably have her forward-facing.

If she is FF it would make more sense to get her a combination seat (harnessed that converts to a belt-positioning booster) rather than a convertible.

The Evenflo Maestro would be a budget seat to look into for an infrequently-used car like this. Its biggest downside is that the booster mode is outgrown by height at about the same time as the harness is outgrown.

Other well-liked midrange combo seats to look at include the Harmony Defender, Graco Nautilus and Argos, and Evenflo SecureKid.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT