Buying 2nd Seat, Should I get Another RF or FF Booster?

havasushannon

My son is almost 3, about 38" tall, about 14" seated shoulder height, and about 35lbs. He rides RF in a Radian in my car but looking to buy another seat for the rare times in rides in hubby's car. I was thinking of getting a FF booster to extend the life of the carseat, but not sure.
?'s:
1. Should I get a RF of FF combo seat?
2. Which one do you most recommend?

ADS

lgenne

I wouldn't spend nearly that much on a seat for occasional use.

If you want to continue rear facing, I'd look at an Evenflo Sureride. It will last a long time forward facing, too.

If you want something forward facing only, check out the Graco Nautilus, Harmony Defender, Evenflo Maestro.

sunnydayz

Are the cheaper one's as safe as the more expensive. I definitely want to save money but don't want to compromise any safety.

Yes, all seats pass the same testing. The best seat is one that fits your child, your car, your budget and is installed and used correctly every time.

The higher price seats come with some additional convenience features (ease of install and use) as well as aesthetics. Some people find this worth the additional cost. We don't have the data to claim one seat is safer than another though.

sunnydayz

What would your pick be for a cheaper RF/FF combo, and a FF/Booster combo?

Is space an issue? The Defender and Maestro are fairly "skinny" seats while the Nautilus is a much wider seat that takes up more space.

Boosters are really inexpensive, so I wouldn't base your choice on how this seat is in booster mode. Target regularly has the Graco Turbo booster on sale for $35. When you need one way down the road, there are many reasonable options.

havasushannon

Space is not an issue. I want a seat that has a high limit 5 point harness FF, goes into a booster and is a great all around seat.

sunnydayz

Space is not an issue. I want a seat that has a high limit 5 point harness FF, goes into a booster and is a great all around seat.

I would check out all 3 on the list. The Harmony Defender and the Graco Nautilus have 18.5" top harness slots and 65lb harness weight limit. Both turn into decent boosters. The Evenflo has the lowest top slots and weight limits, so that may make a difference for you.

Downside to the Harmony is that it requires a bit of assembly out of the box. The Graco sometimes causes "head slump" when kids are sleeping (not dangerous, but looks uncomfortable). The downside to the Evenflo is the it's slightly shorter top slots and weight limit.

havasushannon

Ok, I reweighed him and he is only 32 lbs so I will stick to a RF/FF combo....which one for that one?
Also realized my 8 year old would need a high back booster...which affordable one do you rec'd for that one?

bnsnyde

For our 3 YO we have some light FF seats I can put in for hubby's car, which is rare. I like the Evenflo Securekid a lot for that.

He is 48 lbs. so I have to watch the weight limits. Our Maestro goes to 50 and he is getting close!

tobypuppy

If you really want to rear face, which I'd recommend at not yet 3, I'd look into a Graco Size4me70. It's VERY tall rear facing, and should last him all the way until 40 pounds rear facing. You can buy a relatively cheap dedicated booster when he outgrows it forward facing. If you want to forward face, I'd check out the evenflo securekid or graco nautilus.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC