Differences between Frontier and pioneer?

FrauDrA

I think my plan of getting a HBB for #1 and passing his Frontier XT on to #2 has been foiled by our Volvo headrests, so now looking at getting a new Frontier or the Pioneer for #2 and keeping #1 in his Frontier.

Aside from the extra height of the Frontier, what are the differences between the two?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Even though it's taller than it was, it's still not as tall as the frontier, about an inch difference. The clicktight makes a huge difference- the pioneer has been very difficult to install in all but one car I've had it in.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I also found the Pioneer to be harder to install, and the quality is not what I expect from Britax. Pieces of my seat kept falling off. (I could put them back on, but still.)

FrauDrA

Even though it's taller than it was, it's still not as tall as the frontier, about an inch difference. The clicktight makes a huge difference- the pioneer has been very difficult to install in all but one car I've had it in.

Has the LUAS changed from the Frontier? Other than having only one side for tightening the lower anchors, I never found my frontier XT hard to install. I did have to loosen all straps, though, to adjust the harness height.

Have you installed a Pioneer in any Volvos?

FrauDrA

I also found the Pioneer to be harder to install, and the quality is not what I expect from Britax. Pieces of my seat kept falling off. (I could put them back on, but still.)

Falling off?? What kinds of parts?

It is superficial, but I'm still disappointed neither is available in Cowmoo :(

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Falling off?? What kinds of parts? It is superficial, but I'm still disappointed neither is available in Cowmoo :(

The flap that serves very little purpose on the Pioneer (but is kind of the "place holder" for the ClickTight panel on the Frontier. It fell off several times. I was always able to get it back on, but it didn't exactly endear me to the seat.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Has the LUAS changed from the Frontier? Other than having only one side for tightening the lower anchors, I never found my frontier XT hard to install. I did have to loosen all straps, though, to adjust the harness height.

Have you installed a Pioneer in any Volvos?

I haven't, but it is the belt path that has changed. And the lower anchors have a 40 lb child weight limit, so even if the LA install works, seatbelt may not.

FrauDrA

I haven't, but it is the belt path that has changed. And the lower anchors have a 40 lb child weight limit, so even if the LA install works, seatbelt may not.

Is that the Britax limit? Or one set by the car manufacturer? (I remember there being a lot of discussion about the anchors and weight limits but not the details.) My littlest is right around 40lbs, still under most days.

Alison's Mom

Most car manufacturers in Canada are saying weight of child + carseat can't weigh more than 65 pounds for LUAS. However, according to my list, Volvo is one of the few that defaults to the carseat manufacturer's limit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Is this for all of their seats? So I have to stop using latch when my dd reaches 40lbs?

I finally have a car with latch, it's very exciting lol

All of their seats made before the new rules. I'm not sure if any have a lower since the new rule. It will be in the manual and on the seat, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC