three across 2001 highlander

U

Unregistered

Hi experts!

I'm trying to figure out the safest install for a three-across in our 2001 Toyota Highlander. We have an almost 3-yr old and twins arriving in (hopefully) about 6 weeks. We already have and love the radian rxt and two britax chaperones that work with our double stroller.

Our plan had been to FF our oldest (she is off the growth charts and is just under 40lbs and 38.5 inches tall) in the center position and then install the chaperones on either side. By doing this she can scramble in to the center and we can reach through the front seats to fasten her.

But, when we went to test this we saw that we don't have latch in the center position. I'm not concerned about a seat-belt install except that it seems safer to have the top tethered back to something when FF, especially since we can't use the safety stop strap due to her weight.

How would you work with these seats and this configuration? Is it an issue to not have the top of the FF Radian tethered back to anything? Eventually we're planning on three across with the radians, but will be RF the twins for as long as possible, so this may be the only time we need to worry about the lack of latch in the center position.

Would love your advice, and I promise to post a pic of the finished solution!!

Thanks everyone!
Althea

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I can't speak to that vehicle in particular, but many have only two sets of lower anchors with three top tether anchors. If the center position does not have a top tether anchor, I would suggest trying the radian outboard. You are correct that the top tether is important! Hopefully someone with this vehicle or a LATCH manual can give you more info.

U

Unregistered

Thanks, Reta! I was even wondering if I could get a third top tether anchor installed - Toyota's website seems to suggest you can, so we might go that route as well.

It's helpful to have the importance of top tethering confirmed. I have a friend with an '02 or '03 Highlander (can't remember which year) and she has top tether in all three seats - and no kids! I should just switch cars with her. :)

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi, unfortunately the 2001 Highlander doesn't have a factory equipped top tether anchor for the second row center seating position according to the LATCH manual. It's equally unfortunate that Toyota doesn't retrofit additional top tether anchors in its vehicle models that are already factory equipped with top tether anchors in some seating positions. :eek: Toyota only has top tether anchor retrofit capability and parts for Toyota models that weren't factory equipped with any top tether anchors to begin with. FWIW, Toyota eventually did include a factory equipped second row center top tether anchor in the 2004 and newer Highlander models, but still doesn't have any top tether anchor retrofit available for the second row center for pre-2004 model year Highlanders (nor for the third row in any Highlander models lacking third row top tether anchors).

U

Unregistered

Jean,

Thank you, that is very helpful info! Sad that they won't retrofit, but good to know. I guess we'll have to keep our ODD in an outboard position, I just hope that we can get the two chaperones side by side.(Unless anyone else has any brilliant ideas?)

Thanks again,
Althea

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC