Question Why isn't Safety 1st boost air recommended??

wnkw

Title says it all. Looked up specs and it looks like its 2in or so taller than graco tb. Dd is about to outgrow her tb. Just switched her to that from harnessed fr85s. The fr85s are a pain to buckle as a booster in our outlook (like gmc Acadia). Need something inexpensive and narrow. Dd (7) is 48" and 60lbs (long torso) if that matters.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I actually recommend it frequently. It's far taller than the Turbo- 3.5” or so by my measurements. I use two in my car. It dies require vehicle support, so not feasible in older cars or cars with fixed forward leaning headrests or very forward leaning adjustable head restraints, so not for everyone. But when it works it's a fantastic booster!

It's not that narrow but not that wide, and the armrests lift up.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Loved it! Flip up armrests and terrific sleep support, very cushy, cheap, and narrow for buckling.
I dunno, I just forget it, it feels flimsy and it's hard to find :eek:
I can't find my webpage just now, but I had a great one with lots of pictures of it in use when I first got it, and I gave it to my daycare kid and he loved it for years.

wnkw

I actually recommend it frequently. It's far taller than the Turbo- 3.5” or so by my measurements. I use two in my car. It dies require vehicle support, so not feasible in older cars or cars with fixed forward leaning headrests or very forward leaning adjustable head restraints, so not for everyone. But when it works it's a fantastic booster!

It's not that narrow but not that wide, and the armrests lift up.

Might not work then with our headrest..

So another ?.. our manual says the rear seat needs to be slid back and reclined with car seats. Is that the same with boosters? Then the belt is not coming from behind her.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think in the case of boosters you don't have to follow the carseat rules, do whatever makes the belt fit best with regard to recline adjustment and sliding front to back.
Is she still a car sleeper? A backless is is also a safe choice for a kiddo her age and size if she's not a heavy car sleeper.

wnkw

I think in the case of boosters you don't have to follow the carseat rules, do whatever makes the belt fit best with regard to recline adjustment and sliding front to back.
Is she still a car sleeper? A backless is is also a safe choice for a kiddo her age and size if she's not a heavy car sleeper.

Sleep?? She doesn't know what that means!! She occasionally does, but we only go farther than a couple of miles on vacation or for drs. She just now within the past few months can sleep in high back. We just moved her out of fr85 at the beginning of December.

Basically.. I'm scared to death to but her in backless. I did just put two backless in the grandparents vehicles so I could use the turbo booster.

Speaking of backless. I got the harmony ones from Walmart. Does she have to use the belt guide (the strap)??

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
You only need the strap if the belt doesn't stay right in the middle of her shoulder. Like, if the belt is rubbing her neck, then use it to pull it out an inch, just for comfort. If the belt is off the side of her shoulder, that's a whole 'nother problem. I don't think I've ever used one of those straps in all my years of backless boostered kids :)

Well, the boost air might be flexible enough to work with your headrests?
I wonder if this link will work now... https://picasaweb.google.com/104971...mpleteAirBooster?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ-XweDvxcD-VA

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I also really like the Safety 1st and Cosco boosters.

Yeah, they require vehicle head support, but so do backless boosters and that doesn't stop me from recommending those.

Besides, I don't really believe that the seats that don't require support actually offer more protection; it's a matter of whether the manufacturer chooses to make it a requirement or just let people maintain the illusion of whiplash protection. Unless you're getting something really structurally sound, such as an Oobr, you really should be putting head support behind your child if at all possible. If it simply isn't possible, I would of course choose a seat that doesn't require it, because at least then you're not going against the instructions.

In a situation where you have to remove the head rest to make a HBB fit, then I would sooner use a backless booster and leave the vehicle head restraint in place.

wnkw

So is it OK do recline the seat to make the booster my flat against the seat back? Or no? Totally new to this booster thing, but I don't really have a choice but to use one..

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What vehicle is this and how much recline are we talking? Mine are in completely upright seats so it's hard for me to picture what's going on here.

wnkw

2008 Saturn outlook w/bench
(GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse/ Buick Enclave)

We only have one vehicle. I'll try to get pics when my dh comes home.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC