Target is closing.. Will you buy a seat there?

I think that Target has some exclusive seats. Harmony cruz, scenera next, TB SS... Am I right? Do I forget some?
I'm a little bit anxious that, as Canadians, we won't have access to these seats anymore.
Will you (should I) buy one of theses seats just in case????? I'm wondering if the cruz will be needed by one of my sons in the future...

ADS

Keeks64

I plan to stock up on clearance seats for the price & hope other stores pick up some of the seats they were carrying.

I have my eye on the pretty blue apt, another turbo SS & a britax infant seat

Mary_Ann

I totally would and will if the prices drop significantly. Unfortunately, the Target nearby have a limited choice of seats. No more Classic Marathon, no more HB Amp (can't find that damn seat!!!)...

jacqui276

I already have a cruz, which I love. If they are cheap enough, I would consider a hbb for future use. I want a classic marathon but am doubtful DS would fit in it.

biddyk8

I will check out their clearance seats for a good price as we do plan on TTC very soon. I had already said that to Dh so he is on board with the idea.

FrauDrA

Given that I haven't found a HBB that is compatible with our Volvo headrests, I'm looking for a pioneer or frontier. (I think Target has only the Pioneer?)

bubbaray

Yes. Target Canada absolutely SUCKED and their rollout here was an epic fail. Dirty stores, no stock, overpriced items. I went into three different local stores and never went back. Ewwww. I would rather drive 30 min to a USA store than set foot in a Canadian one

Mary_Ann

I really love my Target... It is clean and people are nice. I like their clearance sales and mostly buy the kids clothes at 70% off, along with other things like bedding, towels, rugs, etc. I agree it is expensive, but not overpriced. My only complaint is the constant empty shelves...

biddyk8

Our nearest target is also really clean and the staff were awesome.I'm really sad to see it go. I was in there today and it was packed and I heard a few people saying how great the prices and sale was not realizing its still all full price

bubbaray

I've been in Targets in three different suburbs in the Vancouver area and they were all disgustingly dirty. I didn't even bother to go in the one in my own suburb. These were all former Zellers stores which were also dirty when they were Zellers. The staff were rude, but that is the norm for the metro Vancouver area. Our proximity to the Bellingham WA store (always packed with shoppers, well stocked and usually quite clean) meant that everyone I knew here didn't bother with Target -- it wasn't even on shoppers radar. Also Walmart has a strong foothold here. Huge, clean stores with full stock.

jacqui276

The targets here have all been pretty clean and I like them. I'm sad to see them go. The Zellers that they replaced were all disgustingly dirty. I was disappointed at how expensive target was though compared to something like Walmart.

FrauDrA

I've been in Targets in three different suburbs in the Vancouver area and they were all disgustingly dirty. I didn't even bother to go in the one in my own suburb. These were all former Zellers stores which were also dirty when they were Zellers. The staff were rude, but that is the norm for the metro Vancouver area. Our proximity to the Bellingham WA store (always packed with shoppers, well stocked and usually quite clean) meant that everyone I knew here didn't bother with Target -- it wasn't even on shoppers radar. Also Walmart has a strong foothold here. Huge, clean stores with full stock.

The Richmond store is the one closest to me (since Oakridge Zellers didn't become a Target) and it was always clean. The only thing that bugged me about that store was that the mall exit had only self-serve checkouts, no cashiers. Otherwise, I really liked the store, it was worth the drive for me.

Adventuredad

I guess it's ok to buy a car seat there if you know exactly what you want. If any advice is needed or there are simple questions you might as well purchase your car seat at the local liquor store or at a gas station.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I guess it's ok to buy a car seat there if you know exactly what you want. If any advice is needed or there are simple questions you might as well purchase your car seat at the local liquor store or at a gas station.

What are you even talking about? What value does this comment add to this conversation?

Clearly this thread is populated with people who know their seats and have an eye out for a deal - even a deal to be able to GIVE AWAY a seat to a person who needs it. Canada has a small market, and Target had a few exclusive seats that filled a niche, or at the very least made "boutique" type seats more readily available to the general public. Just in case you wanted some context to be able to offer intelligent commentary.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The reality is that discounters like Amazon, Walmart, Target and other stores have forced many specialty baby stores out of business. Many of those that remain focus on furniture and upscale/exclusive items where a profit can be made at a local brick&mortar store. Most independent retailers make very little money on carseats, and likely cannot employ someone specifically for expertise with them.

In the USA, anyway, consumers primarily research online and then buy at the cheapest price possible. I assume many areas of Canada are similar. For most consumer mass-market items, the days of walking into most stores and finding an expert are long gone. If you do find an expert, be sure to thank them and their managers for their help, and be sure to support that store with your business!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador

I also don't get how this is helpful. Have you spent any significant amount of time in Canada? Just so you know, the majority of car seats are bought in department stores here. Walmart, Canadian Tire, Target, Sears, BabiesRUs...we are a very spread out country and typically only "big" cities have baby boutiques. In my entire province, I think there are 3 baby boutiques that sell car seats; ONE in my city. So if you live rural, or not in a big city, and LOTS of Canada is like that, you may have a Walmart 30 mins to an hour away, but a baby boutique is 5 hours away.

And not to mention that the baby boutiques don't necessarily give you good advice or know how to answer your questions either. The baby boutiques just sell the more expensive brands of seats. Even if someone could get a question answered there, it may not help them if the store can only direct them to a $400 Peg or Britax seat and they can only afford a $150 Evenflo seat.

Or maybe I missed your point entirely. But buying at Target isn't any different than buying at the majority of stores that sell car seats in Canada.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC