Question 2015 Toyota Sienna - 3rd Row Access with Carseats Installed

amorak

Hi everyone,

thinking about a 7 passenger Sienna - but we have two RF Radian R120s and then we need to get a 2.5yr old into a FF seat in the 3rd Row.

If the seats are RF for the infants in the 2nd Row, it seems as though it would be hard to access the 3rd Row to get the 2.5 yr old into his seat and buckle him up....

Has anyone tried accessing the 3rd row of a 2015 Sienna with RF carseats in the 2nd row? How bad is it?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
This is almost always a problem in three row vehicles. If put rear facing kids in the third row and the forward facer second for easier access, in almost any van.

Mags462

We opted to just take the "extra" captains chair out and install two seats on the back bench and one in the remaining captains chair. It's actually super awesome so even though my kids are older now (2 in booster 1 ff still in a car seat) we haven't put the captains chair back in. It's just so roomy to have that seat out.

Another option would be up slide the captains chair over so the aisle is on the outside and then put your ff child in that outboard seat on the bench accessed by the aisle.

amorak

We opted to just take the "extra" captains chair out and install two seats on the back bench and one in the remaining captains chair. It's actually super awesome so even though my kids are older now (2 in booster 1 ff still in a car seat) we haven't put the captains chair back in. It's just so roomy to have that seat out.

Another option would be up slide the captains chair over so the aisle is on the outside and then put your ff child in that outboard seat on the bench accessed by the aisle.

Are you sure that the new 2015's allow the captains to slide over?

DawgDad

Couldn't you get the 8 passenger version and the two RF seats in the captains chair and middle seat of the 2nd row leaving the other captains chair free to move forward and access to the 3rd row? That's what we do in our 2014 Odyssey.

lgenne

The Sienna's 2nd row center seat is way less functional that the Odyssey's (at least on 2011+ models). I don't think there's any RF seat that works there.

DawgDad

The Sienna's 2nd row center seat is way less functional that the Odyssey's (at least on 2011+ models). I don't think there's any RF seat that works there.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure in the new 2015 what they improved since they fixed top tether issues from the previous years of the model generation. IIRC it's 7 passenger only in the AWD...

amorak

You guys hit the nail on the head re: my problem...

I need AWD, but need 3 across, which you can't get in the AWD Sienna - so I was looking for an alternative solution in the 7 passenger AWD van, but moving seats over, etc - sounds like I am SOL though.

We also needed AWD or 4WD -- looked at the Sienna but the ground clearance and interior layout issues knocked it out of the running. We ended up with a Pilot. We're able to do a tight 3-across in the 3rd row (all FF) and RF two in the 2nd row. The 3rd row passenger-side has LATCH, as do all positions in the 2nd row, and there are top tether anchors all around. It's not a van, so cargo space suffers and access to the 3rd row is trickier, but there's great ground clearance and the vehicle is not huge. You could also fit all 3 seats easily across the 2nd row and knock the 3rd flat for storage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC