Question Two car seats in 2009 Mazda3

rawknee7

I'm expecting a child in March 2015 and need to fit two car seats in a 2009 Mazda3.

DS1: is 2 years old (actually 32 months and will be 3 yo in May 2015), 25 lbs, skinny, about 35 inches tall and currently in a Cosco APT 40RF. It is hard to install and seems wide to me. I would like to consider getting something that is longer lasting. The harness is already at the top slots and I'm not sure how much longer it will work well for him.

Baby 2: is not here yet. I have a Chicco KeyFit 30 from DS1, but I don't know how well it will fit in the back with the other car seat. I'm open to getting a convertible car seat and skipping the infant seat.

When we only had DS1, the Chicco KeyFit 30 worked, but meant that no one could ride in the front passenger seat of the car. The front seat had to be pushed forward almost all the way. I had to sit in the back with the baby when my husband drove. This won't work for us when Baby 2 arrives. Also, we aren't in the market for a new car at this time.

What two car seats are small enough to fit in the rear seat of a 2009 Mazda3 and still allow the driver and front seat passenger? Both my husband and I are 5 ft 7 in tall. I'd like some space for my knees. :)

Thanks for any suggestions!

ADS

1mommy

Just for clarification - your DS1 is forward facing right? So are you looking for a seat that converts to a booster (way down the road) for him?

Also do you have a budget?

U

Unregistered

Yes, my DS1 is currently forward facing. I'd like to not spend too much on seats - less than $200?

I don't think I'm looking for a booster at this point because it seems like those won't fit him now, but most of you here probably know more than I do. My son is rather small for his age and it will likely be a few years before he is heavy enough for a booster. He's less than 3% for his weight/age now.

1mommy

I would look at the Evenflo SecureKid or Graco Nautilus for your DS1, both have a 5pt harness and will eventually turn into boosters once he's over 30 pounds and meets the height requirement and is mature enough to be on a booster, generally around age 5-7. If you want a narrower booster I would look into the Harmony Defender. If you are ok with skipping the infant seat I would say look at hmm well maybe the Graco Milestone, Britax Marathon. Both are on the more expensive side, but will last you a long time, the Graco Milestone even becomes a High Backed Booster. I would suggest you look at Car-Seats recommended seat list, specifically at the ones I mentioned, then read the reviews and let us know if you have any questions. Then I would suggest you go to toys r us and try out the seats in your car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC