Question Bulky coat, wouldn't that increase ride-down time?

B

bignis

It's recommended (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=29772) that children shouldn't be buckled into rear-facing car seats wearing bulky winter coats. I found an explanation of why loose car seats are worse for the child because they increase ride-down time (http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html#ridedown). I assume the same explanation applies to bulky coats too, but it doesn't make intuitive sense to me, so I'm hoping to get some clarity.

If my child is buckled into a rear-facing seat, the seat itself is tight, the child is wearing a bulky coat, and the child is buckled in as tight-as-possible given their bulky coat - wouldn't the extra padding of the coat be a "good thing"? My thinking is that in a crash, the child would be flung forward, be slowed down by their coat as it compresses (a good thing, right?), then be ultimately stopped by the buckled harness. Extra padding in the coat acts like an airbag effect. This would lead to the ride-down time increasing, less force acting on the child overall, and less injury to the child compared to no coat at all.

The thinking doesn't jive with the recommendation though. The explanation of the "hand catching an egg" (http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html#ridedown) seems opposite of what I'd expect. Could someone explain to me why a bulky coat (buckled tightly) is worse Physics/Forces than no coat at all?

ADS

jjordan

One potential problem with a child moving more is that he/she moves to the point of striking a very hard part of the vehicle's interior. So - in that case, you essentially have "too much" ride-down time.

And with a bulky coat, the effect is essentially a loosening of the straps, which might mean that the child slides out of the harness altogether.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
"much like what happens to the internal organs of a person when they are flung into a loose seatbelt or harness" (from the first link), and from Wendy's video, we can see that the harness is in fact loose on the coated child.

The coat is not an energy absorbing material (if it were, we'd all have helmets made of polar fleece and nylon), the body will be flung just as hard into the harness as if the coat weren't there at all. That is, there's risk of various neck/head/spine injuries when the body slams up and into the harness and possibly over the shell of the seat, if they ramp up enough and create enough extra momentum to stretch the harness even further than it would have been.

What I would do, if it's honestly too cold to de-coat a kid, is find a highly compressible one, like this blog shows.. http://carseatblog.com/24645/baby-its-cold-outside-winter-coat-suggestions-for-kids-in-carseats/

Good question, though!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC