By human hands can not it be done

Splash

Or something like that...

I tried. I tried so hard. Blood, sweat, and tears (and yes, I do mean blood).

But it can't be done. It just can't. I could try for a million years and it's just never gonna happen. *Maybe* with a locking clip, if I could get it in the exact right spot, but not likely.

Nope. The Radian cannot go in the center of my car.

So my choices are Radian outboard, Regent center, Regent outboard... BV center is still possible... for now... just getting very difficult. BV outboard is almost definitely a no.

Regent center installs okay. Not amazing or anything, but certainly within my comfort zone. Beyond that whole recall thing, of course... outboard, well... I wouldn't put it outboard. If I use it, it's staying center.

If I went with a Radian, that would be another seat to buy, which sucks. It installs like a dream outboard, fits my car like it's built in. Really, really amazing. But I have my issues with it... I don't want it outboard, I don't like that way the straps can't be removed, I don't like the tether set up... and the seat feels really flimsy to me. And the chest clip CREEPS. ME. OUT. It's scary. I seriously am freaked out by this thing... ew.

Charlie seems to like both about equally. I hate the Regent, but it can be installed center... I like the Radian okay, but it would have to be outboard. The Radian fit him better, just because it's more his size. The Regent dwarfed him.

He's dead even with the fourth slot in the Radian and dead even with the second slot in the Regent. So 3 inches in Radian, 6 (?) in Regent. He likes both of them way better than a Boulevard. He likes his BV, but he just seemed more comfortable in these.

He really enjoyed being outboard, though. And not in a way I am comfortable with... propping his leg on the door, mostly. I just see a shatted femur...
But outboard Radian I could put the center armrest down and he loved that.

What do I do now?

ADS

Yoshi

Splash- you're freaking me out by stating repeatedly that you won't put him in the Radian outboard. I know that is a smart thing, and I wish it weren't the only choice for me as well- but that's all we can do also, and that is where she is right now:(. I personally have a qualm about the Regent which I haven't seen addressed anywhere (we used to have one about a year ago and I sold it)- and that is since it is SO DARN HEAVY and massive- isn't that counterintuitive that it would end up putting TOO much stress and force on the seat belts with a kid in it? Is that logical? I think the seat is a huge overdone shell with too little SIP. Recaro has the right idea with their new HWH seats, but with too narrow shoulder room and a high base. They are all flawed. Sorry I can't help!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I personally have a qualm about the Regent which I haven't seen addressed anywhere (we used to have one about a year ago and I sold it)- and that is since it is SO DARN HEAVY and massive- isn't that counterintuitive that it would end up putting TOO much stress and force on the seat belts with a kid in it? Is that logical? I think the seat is a huge overdone shell with too little SIP.

While it does seem very heavy, it's actually just 30 pounds. With an 80 pound child in it, that's putting only 110 pounds on the seat belt. Vehicle seat belts are designed to hold much MUCH more than that.

It also has more SIP than it looks like. It's just so wide, and the sides are angled out, that it makes it look shallow. They're actually like 8 inches deep. And with it being so wide, it really doesn't need anything more. It's a harnessed seat, so the harness provides more SIP than the sides of the seat anyway.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Splash, did you ever see this thread? Not sure if the center seatbelt in a 2003 differs from your 2006, though.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=27375

Yes, that was me. I did it, and I did it again yesterday just to see if I could. I've done a lot of installations and I'm pretty good at them, and I would classify this as the hardest installation I've ever done. But it's where I need the seat, (I do three-across with two boosters for carpools sometimes, and I am not comfortable with the booster on the hump in the middle), I'm stubborn, and it IS in and it IS in very solidly.

One twist of the female buckle stalk. And this is how I did it -- I hope you can create a mental picture because I'm not posting photos. It's not pretty, trust me! One knee in the seat pushing down, one knee in front of the seat pushing back, tighten, retract, tighten, retract, and so on.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I'm human. :)

ZephyrBlue

While it does seem very heavy, it's actually just 30 pounds. With an 80 pound child in it, that's putting only 110 pounds on the seat belt. Vehicle seat belts are designed to hold much MUCH more than that.

It also has more SIP than it looks like. It's just so wide, and the sides are angled out, that it makes it look shallow. They're actually like 8 inches deep. And with it being so wide, it really doesn't need anything more. It's a harnessed seat, so the harness provides more SIP than the sides of the seat anyway.

Very interesting insight. I also like the Regent outboard because the shell is so wide; I know that it IS only plastic and if another vehicle was to hit the side where my 7yo is sitting, the Regent would likely crumple on impact, but at least it would be absorbing some of the impact before my DD's body would. I tried to love the Radian outboard, but I just couldn't do it, either.

Splash

Yes, that was me. I did it, and I did it again yesterday just to see if I could. I've done a lot of installations and I'm pretty good at them, and I would classify this as the hardest installation I've ever done. But it's where I need the seat, (I do three-across with two boosters for carpools sometimes, and I am not comfortable with the booster on the hump in the middle), I'm stubborn, and it IS in and it IS in very solidly.

One twist of the female buckle stalk. And this is how I did it -- I hope you can create a mental picture because I'm not posting photos. It's not pretty, trust me! One knee in the seat pushing down, one knee in front of the seat pushing back, tighten, retract, tighten, retract, and so on.

P.S. I'm pretty sure I'm human. :)

The belts are different. I know they are. This is nothing to do with the belt not being tight enough... it's because there is SO much room between the stalks, that it just can't be done. The stalks are at least 2 inches from each side of the seat, so no matter how tight I get the belt, with that distance and how low the belt path is, it just can't be done. Basic geometry, unfortunately. :(

I think I'm just going to be stuck with a Regent. I hate that seat.

Yoshi

I know what you are saying makes sense, but when I had it, it just made me uncomfortable- the seat was right next to the door (maybe a few inches) and despite the shell being so wide, and the harness safety factor, I just hated it anyway. JMO.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC