What do you do about taxis?

Hazelandlucy

Just got home from England. We stayed the last two days in London and went all over the city doing touristy things and visiting friends. We had a Britax G4 and Click Tight with us, but obviously can't carry those around the city. We took quite a few taxies and just held the kids or had them in the stroller! Obviousy not safe, but what do people do? The tube did not get us to the locations we needed and we would still have needed a taxi. The friends we saw were childless or just had one so could not pick us up with carseats.

Is there any solution I am not thinking of? We were on some pretty major roads!

ADS

Brianna

When I was in London I walked or took the Metro everywhere. Not sure if that's possible while visiting friends though...

gigi

In London I carry an RSTV and a Bubblebum for my kids, 3.5 & 7.5, and otherwise try to not take taxis. I put the kids on the FF seats with seatbelts, adults on the others. I bring regular seats to use in the car, but bring these too for going into town. We are pretty good just using the Tube, busses, and trains though...it is rare we would need a taxi.

In NYC I just never take cabs with my kids (we are locals...know how to get around easily without cabs).

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
When we're going where we will be in taxis, we bring restraints. For my kids right now that would be 3 BubbleBums and probably a SureRide (and ask for a cab with ISOFIX if in Europe if I could. Otherwise I'm quick with a locking clip.) (SureRide happens to be my lightweight spare.) I'd strap it in a stroller or use a carry bag.

I prefer public transport when possible. When my kids were younger the younger two used RSTVs while the oldest had the BubbleBum when we went to Hawaii (but we mostly took the bus while there. There was a taxi to a wedding, though.)

If I were being chased by zombies and had to hop a cab without restraints, I'd put my kids who are old enough in lap/shoulder belts and have them cross their legs to improve fit, and threaten them with dire consequences if they moved, and put any babies in the footwell where at least they are at less risk of head injury or ejection with a sudden stop.

In your case, since you had seats, I'd have either rented/borrowed a car, had a friend pick us up and drive us with the seats, or found a way to haul the seats (luggage cart with bungee cords maybe.) Or just had friends meet us at places accessible by public transport. Not riding safely in cabs is reserved for dire emergency, for me. (Zombies, vampires, and wildfires, and maybe tsunamis.)

AllieK

I have a girlfriend who just came back from Paris doing the tourist thing & visiting friends all over the city. She hired a car (and driver) & just used it for all her transport. I'm sure this was expensive but she worked out a flat rate for the duration of her stay. She said it was nice to be able to store miscellaneous stuff for the kids in the car and not have to tote it around town, and above all she had familiar car seats safely installed!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC