New to us trucks

hayleysmom23

We are in search of a full size truck. We have a 6 year old (40lbs, 44 inches), who is harnessed 99.9% of the time. I also some times have a 1 year old (rf), a 3 year old (ff, 30lbs), and a 5 year old (ff 50lbs). The car seats I own are an evenflo maestro, graco nautilus, and a clek oobr. I also have in my possession a radian 80 and a safety 1st complete air. (Thank you, Judi!)

Anyway we are going to be looking at several different trucks to find one we both like. Right now these are the ones we are kind of looking at:

2003 Ford f250 crew cab
1998/1999 dodge 2500 extended cab
2004 Ford f350 crew cab

I'm sure we will find others to look at

How will car seats work with these trucks?

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
We have a 2012 F350 which has a pretty similar wide, flat backseat as the older year F250/350 you're looking at. Car seat installs are an absolute breeze and it's nice that the seats so wide you can fit any combo of any three seats back there.

jess71903

Ambassador
WE have a 2002 extended cab Silverado(suicide doors, right? It works for my booster rider and FFer, but it's tight front to back. Plenty of side-to-side room, though, and I would guess that most RF seats would fit in the middle with the top between the 2 front seats. I do lean the front seats forward to let my kids get in because there's not much space to climb in.

My dad and my brother have F150s, a 2008 and a 2012 or 13. Both also very car seat friendly. They both have the suicide doors (forget what Ford calls that), and again, not great front-to-back space, but plenty side-to-side. MY step-dad has a 2006 F150 4-door and it's awesome all around for car seats.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The Dodge has long wonky belt stalks that make installs tricky. Only spot the Radian was compatible was the front center.

The Fords are very car seat friendly.

Keeanh

Are you looking at 6p or 5p?

Pretty sure those Fords & Dodges don't have headrests at all in the back. That's going to limit the back seat to people under 10yo-ish. I would look at the Chevys. They had outboard headrests.

Outboard headrests & middle shoulder belt:
Dodge 04+
Chevy GMC 06+
Ford 05+ (outboard headrests), 08+ (middle shoulder belt)

Last edited:

hayleysmom23

This is the back seat of the truck we ended up getting. (The crew cab was sold)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150110_165103.png
    ForumRunner_20150110_165103.png
    270.8 KB · Views: 29

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC