Question Booster or 5 point harness for 5 year old?

jsterud

Our daughter who just turned 5 years old is outgrowing her Britax Roundabout height wise (not too far behind in her Britax Marathon). We were going to put her in a booster seat, but I have recently read that it's recommended to keep them in 5 point harness for as long as possible, so was looking at the Britax seats that are 5 point harness and then convert into the booster seat. However, I also read that the Swedes recommend using a booster as they feel there is too much strain on the neck/spine/collar bone with forward facing 5 point harness seats. (Not sure I worded that correctly.) So we're looking for additional research/opinions before we make our decision. Thank you!

ADS

aeormsby

The current recommendation isn't to keep kids harnessed forever. Moving to a booster has to do with age/bone strength/maturity. Age/bone strength is there around 5/6 yo generally. Maturity is usually the same, you're putting the responsibility on the child in a booster to stay seated correctly at all times so that the seatbelt is in the correct position.

My kids started using boosters in our 2nd vehicle at age 5, full time in all vehicles at age 6. If I had been in a position of needing to replace a seat at age 5 it probably would have been a booster. As long as they proved to be able to handle it. A HBB will help remind them to stay in position and help with more support if they tend to fall asleep in the car. My DS never had a problem staying upright in a HBB even when he started using it before he was 6.

CMeMeC

Our daughter who just turned 5 years old is outgrowing her Britax Roundabout height wise (not too far behind in her Britax Marathon). We were going to put her in a booster seat, but I have recently read that it's recommended to keep them in 5 point harness for as long as possible, so was looking at the Britax seats that are 5 point harness and then convert into the booster seat. However, I also read that the Swedes recommend using a booster as they feel there is too much strain on the neck/spine/collar bone with forward facing 5 point harness seats. (Not sure I worded that correctly.) So we're looking for additional research/opinions before we make our decision. Thank you!

I don't think you are going to get a definite answer. I have wondered this myself and only found that a child that is an appropriate age and size for a booster seat and can sit in one properly is just as safe as in a harness. Or at least there isn't data that suggests one is safer or less safe than the other.

bubbaray

Like many other parenting topics, opinions on this issue can be strong and heated. AFAIK, there are no English language studies showing a safety advantage to either type of seat, assuming the child can sit properly.

For my own children, I moved them to HBBs at age 5-ish and 40 pounds (they were both 5 and a few months when they reached 40 pounds). I kept my DD2 in a Frontier in harness mode past age 5 in one vehicle simply because I was too lazy to remove the seat. Shortly thereafter, they used LBBs for travel and carpools (our vehicles have side airbags as do the vehicles we rent when on vacation).

Again on a personal note, for my own children I was persuaded by the Swedish outcome stats (ie., they go directly from RFg seats to HBBs and have enviable road safety stats). Does that mean I tell others (or told in past tense -- my tech certification expired and I won't be renewing) to do so? No. But that was my personal choice.

My girls have never had an issue staying properly in position in their boosters, even while sleeping. I have heard that boys have more difficulty, but as I don't have boys of my own I have no opinion on this either way. I do think it is important for schoolage children to know how to ride properly in a booster seat for carpooling and field trip purposes (our school sometimes has parent drivers for field trips, they aren't always on a school bus). I personally have more confidence that other parents will properly use a booster seat than a harnessed seat -- not to mention, I can't imagine my tiny kids lugging a harnessed seat around for carpooling/field trips, whereas they can easily manage a LBB around Kindergarten age.

CMeMeC

Like many other parenting topics, opinions on this issue can be strong and heated. AFAIK, there are no English language studies showing a safety advantage to either type of seat, assuming the child can sit properly.

For my own children, I moved them to HBBs at age 5-ish and 40 pounds (they were both 5 and a few months when they reached 40 pounds). I kept my DD2 in a Frontier in harness mode past age 5 in one vehicle simply because I was too lazy to remove the seat. Shortly thereafter, they used LBBs for travel and carpools (our vehicles have side airbags as do the vehicles we rent when on vacation).

Again on a personal note, for my own children I was persuaded by the Swedish outcome stats (ie., they go directly from RFg seats to HBBs and have enviable road safety stats). Does that mean I tell others (or told in past tense -- my tech certification expired and I won't be renewing) to do so? No. But that was my personal choice.

My girls have never had an issue staying properly in position in their boosters, even while sleeping. I have heard that boys have more difficulty, but as I don't have boys of my own I have no opinion on this either way. I do think it is important for schoolage children to know how to ride properly in a booster seat for carpooling and field trip purposes (our school sometimes has parent drivers for field trips, they aren't always on a school bus). I personally have more confidence that other parents will properly use a booster seat than a harnessed seat -- not to mention, I can't imagine my tiny kids lugging a harnessed seat around for carpooling/field trips, whereas they can easily manage a LBB around Kindergarten age.

I completely agree. My son went into a hbb at age 5 (and 9 months) and 40 lbs. My daughter (just a year younger) remains in a 5pt most of the time at almost 7 (next month). She rides in a booster in other cars for the same reasons you mentioned. However, in my car, she sleeps a lot and falls forward in a booster. We are working on it. She also prefers a 5 pt and weighs less than/right at 40lbs. I say, do what your comfortable with at this point.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC