Question Recs for an ideal minivan? 3 kids, budget, etc.

KnittingTigers

Hi everyone,

I'd love your BTDT thoughts on newish used minivans. We're currently doing 3 across in a 2004 Accord, and considering sizing up. Here's our situation and criteria:

- 3 kids in seats: 20 month twins in RFing Radians, 6 year old harnassed FFing in a Britax Frontier. I'm willing to swap out the Frontier for something else because it's old and I hate it, but the Radians are new and I don't want to replace them. I'm looking for ease of getting the twins in and out with the assumption that they'll be RFing for several more years, and a situation in which the 6y.o. can get herself in and out for drop off relatively easily (she can buckle herself in and out of the harness straps on her Frontier). Would like to be able to regularly carry a third adult, and occasionally carry an additional child in a booster (playdates for 6y.o., etc.).

- At least 20 mpg. We currently get about 24 or 25 in our Accord, and I don't want to go too far below that.

- DP wants decent storage space, and is pushing hard for an SUV over a minivan. I'm pretty committed to a van, both from an ease of use and mileage standpoint. Give me the data to prove me right! Day to day, it would be nice to put our big stroller in the back without breaking it down completely. For long trips, we want storage for all our suitcases, gear, strollers, etc.

- Budget: we'd like to keep it under $20K, and I'd like to find something no more than 4 or 5 years old, with no more than 50,000 miles.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I know that the Odyssey and the Sienna are pretty much the gold standards. Are they worth it? And what should I be thinking about/looking for in terms of ease of use, etc.?

Thanks!

ADS

katymyers

The Odyssey is absolutely worth it, it's darn near perfect. A Sienna, unless it's a 2015 model, only has three top tether anchors and isn't nearly as car seat friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dillipop

If you can find a 2010 sienna with your mileage requirements, it has 4 sets of latch in the 7 seater and 5 sets of latch in the 8 seater.

Mags462

If you can find a 2010 sienna with your mileage requirements, it has 4 sets of latch in the 7 seater and 5 sets of latch in the 8 seater.

Yes! It might be hard to find but IMO the 2006-2010 Sienna gets the top minivan spot and then 2011-current Odyssey get the top for those years.

I'm going to be honest and say it will be quite tricky to get an import Toyota/Honda van with that low mileage in those year ranges for your price. I do know the newer (2006+) Kia Sedona minivans are thought of well and would look at those too. You might be able to get a deal on a 2014 somewhere because they just completely redid that van for 2015.

As for minivan vs SUV its such a personal choice. I HATE all things SUV b/c they drive like trucks and i despise the road feel in them. If renting a car is an option you might try renting a decent size SUV (say a Ford Explorer) and ride around in it for week. Then rent a minivan (even a cheap Chrysler would still show the difference in use vs the SUV) and i bet you both end up with a strong preference towards one or the other after a week.

Frankly until the SUV market starts putting sliding doors on I'm not buying one :p

And most modern minivans in the years you are considering will get the 20mph you're looking for - some are even better than that!

jjordan

I agree with Maggie - 2010 or older Sienna, 2011 or newer Odyssey, or if you can't find one of those in your price range with the low mileage that you want, then a 2006 or newer Sedona. When we bought our minivan about 2.5 years ago, we went with a Sedona and we're happy with the choice. :)

Good luck!

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would agree with the others, but I would add the 2006+ Odysseys to the list. They'll be less expensive and still give you tons of seating options.

smileyblue4

Even the big SUVs like Suburban have nothing on cargo space vs the Odyssey. (My husband is a total minivan activist.:dance:) If you put all 3 kids across the middle row of the minivan and can flatten the 3rd row, there is no contest. It is HUGE cargo space. We put our lab's dog kennel in there plus all the stuff we need for 3 kids and us for a road trip and there's always room to spare. That plus the excellent gas mileage, and your husband needs to be the one to convince YOU that the SUV is the way to go. I know it is hard for some to get past the exterior, but I agree that once you are in it and driving it, you won't ever go back. Sliding doors forever!:jive: The only reason I'd consider an SUV is if we needed towing ability, or foul weather driving in the winter. Neither is a concern for us.

2010 and older, get a Sienna. 2011 and newer, get the Odyssey. IMO, the current Odyssey is significantly better than the Sienna from a parent point of view.

And yes, you need to move up to a Suburban before a SUV gets more usable space than a minivan. It's that deep well that most minivans have. If you look at the space behind the 3rd row of even a large SUV like the Tahoe or Sequoia, it looks like you can just fit an umbrella stroller and that's it. The Chevy Traverse and its sisters are probably the closest to a minivan's space, but still not as much because they don't have that well.

DawgDad

2010 and older, get a Sienna. 2011 and newer, get the Odyssey. IMO, the current Odyssey is significantly better than the Sienna from a parent point of view.

And yes, you need to move up to a Suburban before a SUV gets more usable space than a minivan. It's that deep well that most minivans have. If you look at the space behind the 3rd row of even a large SUV like the Tahoe or Sequoia, it looks like you can just fit an umbrella stroller and that's it. The Chevy Traverse and its sisters are probably the closest to a minivan's space, but still not as much because they don't have that well.

And the latter usually sacrifices massive space in the 3rd row making it a children only zone. ;)

Honestly, it's a "once you drive it..." Just get in one, load up the kids in it, and put your stuff you usually schlep around in the back. It's scary how convenient doing all of that in a van is over similarly sized SUVs...you really have to jump into the Suburban extended to get the same cargo size of the minivan. As someone already said, if you fold the 3rd row down, you get the most convenient space on the consumer market (there is a LOT more floor-to-ceiling height in a minivan). Oh...and they are safer (especially the 2014+ Odyssey's).

Guy to guy...I can make a run to Home Depot and grab 38 bags of mulch with just the 3rd row down. Love it.

Yeah, we have a cargo mat with a lip for our Odyssey. Runs to the nursery are no big deal because the well, combined with the split folding seats, make great adjustable sized storage areas for bags of mulch, potted plants, etc. The lower height means you can even stick taller trees that wouldn't fit in a SUV.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC