Question Booster fit?

FrauDrA

Happy new year to everyone!

Following up on this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=272574

Tonight, I finally managed to get my son to try out all the high back boosters I'd been considering. He hated the Oobr! We also quickly ruled out the Cambria for him, he didn't find it comfortable and there wasn't much height to spare. This leaves the Peg Viaggio 120 and the Parkway SGL. He prefers the Peg (and although I've loved our Britax convertibles and Frontier XT, I did not care for the new fabrics on the SGL, and the cover seems baggy and somewhat ill-fitting) for comfort, and it seems to fit him right now best of all. However, the Parkway gives more height, and he is a tall kid, so might give a better fit overall for a longer time.

So, some questions to help me decide:

1. Anyone have experience with either of these seats fitting in a Volvo XC70 (2012 model)? Will one fit better than the other?
2. How long should we reasonably expect to use a high-back booster? He's tall and skinny, currently about 132-133cm and still under 50lbs, had his 8th birthday in late September. In other words, will the extra height of the Parkway make much of a difference before he'd likely switch to a backless booster?

I took several photos of him in the different boosters (which were placed on a vehicle seat in the store). I forgot to bring a measuring tape, but the shoulder belt guide, at the highest setting, was about 2cm higher on the Parkway than the Viaggio.

And just to complicate things... He and I did a road trip to Seattle this week, and after three very busy and exciting days, he fell asleep in the car on the way home. I honestly can't remember the last time he fell asleep in the car! So a week ago I'd have been less concerned than I am now about the potential advantage of a high-back booster for a sleeping kid :-/

Thanks once again for your help!
Melanie

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Many kids prefer a high back for comfort as long as it fits. My ten year old still uses one. If you're still wanting to buy a high back at 8, I'd look for one you can get at least a couple more years out of. Most kids need a booster until between ten and twelve, but most are in a backless by your child's age if they use one at all, saving the community here and similarly informed parents. So, it depends what you and your child prefer and are comfortable with, really. There is some evidence that a high back may be helpful in side impacts and also with maintaining position as long as it fits, but it's not overwhelming.

_juune

I'd try any of the HBBs in the car first, because those forward leaning non-removable headrests of Volvo may cause problems :(

FrauDrA

Online reviews aren't looking good for the Parkway, I found one that specifically said it isn't compatible with Volvos :-/ I haven't yet found a clear statement about the Viaggio.

Anyone know of stores in Vancouver that will allow me to test out the seat in the car?

Sigh. I don't want to buy a second Frontier (or pioneer), but if I can't find a HBB that will fit in our Volvo, it may be inevitable. Any other suggestions?

Alison's Mom

TJ's allows testing in car if you leave them your license. Their customer service is sometimes a bit suspect, though. Baby's World in Coquitlam allows, and I think Lusso Baby in North Van would have both those seats, but not sure if they allow testing.

Sorry, no experience with a Volvo XC, so no other suggestions. . . .

FrauDrA

TJ's allows testing in car if you leave them your license. Their customer service is sometimes a bit suspect, though. Baby's World in Coquitlam allows, and I think Lusso Baby in North Van would have both those seats, but not sure if they allow testing. Sorry, no experience with a Volvo XC, so no other suggestions. . . .

Ugh, we tested them at TJ's and I said to the clerk that we couldn't decide until determining whether they'd fit our car, but there was no mention of being able to test!

Alison's Mom

Hmm, maybe they don't advertise it? I know they definitely allow. You just ask at the cashier and hand them your driver's license. I've done it quite a few times, and nobody has ever said 'No'. Some stores, like Baby's World, have had the sales person go out to the car with me. TJs has always just let me take it out by myself.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC