What do you consider reasonable - DOM?

stacim

Thanks to all who responded to another thread of mine for carseat recommendations! I finally took the plunge and ended up getting a FPSVD and a FPSV HBB for my mom's car. They arrived today and I will be checking them for fit in a couple of hours when she comes over to p/u dd. :thumbsup:

The FPSVD is dated 6/07, which is just fine; but the HBB has a DOM of 7/06. Granted, I did get a good price ($40 at albeebaby w/no shipping since I spent over $100 total), but it is still a bummer that we have already lost over a year's use on this seat. :(

I totally didn't care about an old DOM on the RA that I got for a STEAL on clearance at Sears :D, but this wasn't quite as good a deal, KWIM?

So, how old do you consider too old when you order online?

Thanks,
Staci

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It really depends on the seat and how much you paid for it - and also how soon a seat expires. Like if I bought a peg perego infant carrier that expires in 5yrs, and 1yr was already gone, I'd be really upset - but if I bought a Radian that expires in 8yrs and 1yr was already gone, it wouldn't be as big a deal.

I think the FPSV boosters have been discontinued, so there may only be the older DOM available. Given the price, I think it just depends on what's more important - the savings, or getting the longest life span. If you'd rather pay a bit more and get longer use, than I'd return it. Otherwise I'd look at it as the sale price accounting for the older DOM and just keep it. (Most online stores will check what DOM is on their seats before you buy, just so you know for next time. :thumbsup: )

I think on most seats, 6mos old at time of purchase is reasonable. But depending on the seat I might not care about an older DOM if my kid would outgrow it before it expired anyways.

stacim

That's a good point! I guess it is all relative. :thumbsup: Wow, Radians are good for 8 years! I hadn't even heard of them before learning about this site. That's another definite plus for those seats.

I'm not really all that upset (definitely not enough to send it back), I was just wishing it was a bit "newer" and wondering what most people consider acceptable for future reference. We will still get plenty of use out of the seat. I do think I will call and check next time before ordering, though.

Thanks,
Staci

ZephyrBlue

To me, it really depends on how long we'll use the seat. If it's a seat for my 4.5yo, an older DOM with better price would be fine, while a seat for my 2.5yo had better be less than 4 mos old when I get it, or it's going back. We tend not to pass seats down, we either sell them or most often, give them to someone who needs them, so we don't usually "use" the full life of a seat. The two exceptions were the Roundabout and Fisher Price Safe Embrace that I bought in 1999 when I was pg w/my first DD. We used them until they expired and loved every minute of those seats, LOL!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC