Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Carseat or CARES for 2 yo?

We're getting ready to travel soon. DS is 5 and DD is 2 yrs 4 mo and about 23 lb. 2 planes each way, about 3000 miles round-trip.

We have a nearly outgrown CCO, which I'm planning to leave at my parents' for my niece and nephew to use. We also have one carseat at the other end that either of my kids could use.

Balancing safety with my need to get 2 kids and their gear through the airports without losing my ever lovin' marbles, would you recommend that I:

1) Bring the CCO and CARES for DD. She would use the CCO RF on the plane and also in the car, and we would leave it with my mom when she drops us at the airport for the return trip. Coming home on the plane, then, DD would use CARES. DS would be in the spare seat at my mom's and in the seatbelts on the planes.

2) Bring the CCO and a RN. On the planes going to Grandma's house, DD would be in the CCO RF and DS would be FF in the RN. We would then have 3 carseats at our destination for just 2 kids. On the planes going home, DD would be in the RN, and DS would be in the seat belt.

Obviously, I hate to lug 2 carseats if we don't need them. OTOH, I don't love the idea of DD in CARES (I'm not even confident she'll truly fit). We do have a folding utility wagon that we could use to schlep the two carseats...
    "BooBoo" - Mar 2009 - 49 lb, 48" - Harnessed in a FR90 & PN90, using a booster on occasion
    "Chicken" - Sept 2012 - 29 lb, 38" - ERF in a Milestone and RN RXT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    Do you already have a seat for your daughter to use at home after your trip?

Carseat Crazy

Re: Carseat or CARES for 2 yo?

Yes, we have seats for DD to use at home. The CCO is a spare that has been living in the bedroom closet for the past several months. It's going to go live out the rest of its life at my parents because we have very little storage space and absolutely no reason to think we'll ever use it again. However, my mom and dad have two brand new little squishy grandkids who can use it, and this is going to be the start of my campaign to get my siblings to RF their kids beyond 2...
    "BooBoo" - Mar 2009 - 49 lb, 48" - Harnessed in a FR90 & PN90, using a booster on occasion

Carseat Crazy

Anyway, I answered my own question. Both the CCO and RN fit nicely in the wagon with room to spare, and like I said, I'm not comfortable with DD in CARES yet... So, we'll be bringing both carseats on the trip.

6. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by NatesMamma View Post
    Yes, we have seats for DD to use at home. The CCO is a spare that has been living in the bedroom closet for the past several months. It's going to go live out the rest of its life at my parents because we have very little storage space and absolutely no reason to think we'll ever use it again. However, my mom and dad have two brand new little squishy grandkids who can use it, and this is going to be the start of my campaign to get my siblings to RF their kids beyond 2...
    I love your campaign! Also I think that the cares (it's a vest right?) would have the same minimum weight as a booster which is like 30 or 40 lbs. but I could be wrong.
    Also doesn't the cares have to be used with a shoulder belt not just a lap belt? The plane only has lap belt so I wouldn't use cares on the plane.

I would choose option 2.
    I would gate check the radian that way you don't have to install 2 seats on the plane. Tell them you want to preboard (leave collapsible wagon w/ RN in it at the door of plane) and carry the CCO and have your kids follow behind you. Find your seats & have them sit in other empty seats nearby while you install the CCO then put dd in CCO then put DS in his belt. Hand them each a treat for being good then walk to front door of plane, collapse wagon, gate check RN (so it is kept with the wheelchairs and strollers) and take your seat and breathe a huge sigh of relief!

See totally easy.... NOT! Lol
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by seb3244 View Post
    I love your campaign! Also I think that the cares (it's a vest right?) would have the same minimum weight as a booster which is like 30 or 40 lbs. but I could be wrong.
    Also doesn't the cares have to be used with a shoulder belt not just a lap belt? The plane only has lap belt so I wouldn't use cares on the plane.
    I think you're thinking of the Ride Safer Travel Vest. That's for use in the car, though I see on their website that they're working on FAA approval for use in planes. Huh.

Anyway... CARES Harness is designed only for airplanes for kids 22-44 lb. You can't use it in the car. However, DS has used it, and I don't love it. (Though it does fill a nice niche, and we'll prob use it for DD at some point in the future.) And despite the weight limits on CARES, there have been reports that you can't tighten the airplane lap belt tight enough for kids who are near the lower end of the weight range.

9. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

I'm just curious about your folding utility wagon! What type do you have? Does it fold down really tiny? I'm just intrigued because in all my years of flying ( I was an airline pilot) I don't think I've ever seen a wagon on the secure side of an airport. It's a great idea, though, if they'll let it through security.

If your 5yo is less than 40lbs or pretty wiggly, I'd recommend using the Radian on the plane for him for your flights down, when you have both seats available, rather than gate checking one. Tell the gate agent you will need to pre board because you're installing two carseats. The Radian is heavy but super easy to install on aircraft.

If you have another adult with you, you can each carry a seat when you board. Alternatively, since these seats are both narrow you could bungee or strap either of them to the back of a rolling bag to get it through the aircraft aisles.

Enjoy your trip!