Carseat or CARES for 2 yo?

NatesMamma

We're getting ready to travel soon. DS is 5 and DD is 2 yrs 4 mo and about 23 lb. 2 planes each way, about 3000 miles round-trip.

We have a nearly outgrown CCO, which I'm planning to leave at my parents' for my niece and nephew to use. We also have one carseat at the other end that either of my kids could use.

Balancing safety with my need to get 2 kids and their gear through the airports without losing my ever lovin' marbles, would you recommend that I:

1) Bring the CCO and CARES for DD. She would use the CCO RF on the plane and also in the car, and we would leave it with my mom when she drops us at the airport for the return trip. Coming home on the plane, then, DD would use CARES. DS would be in the spare seat at my mom's and in the seatbelts on the planes.

2) Bring the CCO and a RN. On the planes going to Grandma's house, DD would be in the CCO RF and DS would be FF in the RN. We would then have 3 carseats at our destination for just 2 kids. On the planes going home, DD would be in the RN, and DS would be in the seat belt.

Obviously, I hate to lug 2 carseats if we don't need them. OTOH, I don't love the idea of DD in CARES (I'm not even confident she'll truly fit). We do have a folding utility wagon that we could use to schlep the two carseats...

ADS

NatesMamma

Yes, we have seats for DD to use at home. The CCO is a spare that has been living in the bedroom closet for the past several months. It's going to go live out the rest of its life at my parents because we have very little storage space and absolutely no reason to think we'll ever use it again. However, my mom and dad have two brand new little squishy grandkids who can use it, and this is going to be the start of my campaign to get my siblings to RF their kids beyond 2... ;)

NatesMamma

Anyway, I answered my own question. Both the CCO and RN fit nicely in the wagon with room to spare, and like I said, I'm not comfortable with DD in CARES yet... So, we'll be bringing both carseats on the trip. :cool:

seb3244

Yes, we have seats for DD to use at home. The CCO is a spare that has been living in the bedroom closet for the past several months. It's going to go live out the rest of its life at my parents because we have very little storage space and absolutely no reason to think we'll ever use it again. However, my mom and dad have two brand new little squishy grandkids who can use it, and this is going to be the start of my campaign to get my siblings to RF their kids beyond 2... ;)

I love your campaign! Also I think that the cares (it's a vest right?) would have the same minimum weight as a booster which is like 30 or 40 lbs. but I could be wrong.
Also doesn't the cares have to be used with a shoulder belt not just a lap belt? The plane only has lap belt so I wouldn't use cares on the plane.

I would choose option 2.
I would gate check the radian that way you don't have to install 2 seats on the plane. Tell them you want to preboard (leave collapsible wagon w/ RN in it at the door of plane) and carry the CCO and have your kids follow behind you. Find your seats & have them sit in other empty seats nearby while you install the CCO then put dd in CCO then put DS in his belt. Hand them each a treat for being good then walk to front door of plane, collapse wagon, gate check RN (so it is kept with the wheelchairs and strollers) and take your seat and breathe a huge sigh of relief!

See totally easy.... NOT! Lol

NatesMamma

I love your campaign! Also I think that the cares (it's a vest right?) would have the same minimum weight as a booster which is like 30 or 40 lbs. but I could be wrong.
Also doesn't the cares have to be used with a shoulder belt not just a lap belt? The plane only has lap belt so I wouldn't use cares on the plane.

I think you're thinking of the Ride Safer Travel Vest. That's for use in the car, though I see on their website that they're working on FAA approval for use in planes. Huh.

Anyway... CARES Harness is designed only for airplanes for kids 22-44 lb. You can't use it in the car. However, DS has used it, and I don't love it. (Though it does fill a nice niche, and we'll prob use it for DD at some point in the future.) And despite the weight limits on CARES, there have been reports that you can't tighten the airplane lap belt tight enough for kids who are near the lower end of the weight range.

I'm just curious about your folding utility wagon! What type do you have? Does it fold down really tiny? I'm just intrigued because in all my years of flying ( I was an airline pilot) I don't think I've ever seen a wagon on the secure side of an airport. It's a great idea, though, if they'll let it through security.

If your 5yo is less than 40lbs or pretty wiggly, I'd recommend using the Radian on the plane for him for your flights down, when you have both seats available, rather than gate checking one. Tell the gate agent you will need to pre board because you're installing two carseats. The Radian is heavy but super easy to install on aircraft.

If you have another adult with you, you can each carry a seat when you board. Alternatively, since these seats are both narrow you could bungee or strap either of them to the back of a rolling bag to get it through the aircraft aisles.

Enjoy your trip!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC