Question Booster seat for almost 8 year old and almost 6 year old

kruggel2004

Hi everyone,
I have an almost 8 year old and an almost 6 year old. They have always been in a 5pt harnass and never expressed interest in getting into anything else. Recently, our vehicle was totalled, so we will be purchasing new car seats etc. I live in the state of KS and apparently at the age of 8, kids no longer are "required" to be in a booster seat. I don't agree with this at all and plan on keeping my littles in seats until they outgrow them. With that being said, I am thinking that it is time for my almost 8 year old to move to an actual booster seat instead of a 5pt harnass. He has started noticing that his friends aren't in 5pt harnass straps anymore and some not even in booster at all. I think part of my dilemma is I'm struggling with this b/c it's such a symbol of them growing up and mommy having to let go. With that being said, I need advice on best option for him. I've heard that the high backs are safer. I plan on keeping my almost 6 year in a 5 pt harnass but honestly am questioning that somewhat also b/c i know he is going to want a big boy booster like his big brother. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much.

ADS

thepote

Hi-
The reason for the high back booster for new booster riders is to keep them in position while they learn how to sit in boosters, as well as support them when they fall asleep, as younger kids tend to be more noodle-y when asleep. Some like the perception of side-impact protection with high back booster (there are no standards in the US and some may be just marketing and not based on testing).

The age we usually give here for switching from harness to booster is 5 to 7, depending on the maturity of the child for a typical child without special needs. For my own children, one went in a booster at age 6.5, and the other at 5.5. They were very different kids, and with the one that switched at 5.5 his older brother being in a booster was a factor, so I understand that.

I find that when I make a change like going from rear facing to forward facing, harness to booster, etc, it's really difficult for me for a couple of weeks while I wrap my head around the change. After that it's not a big deal.

Sounds like the older child is ready for a booster and the younger one might be, too, depending on maturity. ((Hugs)) because yes, it's hard to force those 'milestones.' Unfortunately it doesn't change as they get older... My oldest left for college this fall :)

gigi

High backs aren't safer and they are harder to get a proper fit to vehicle. If you have headrests in your back seat, I would personally get one backless and one high back. The younger kid will probably have better belt fit with a high back, which is why I've do a back for him until he doesn't.

My personal high back favorites are the Graco Affix and the Britax Parkway SGL. For backless my 7.5 year old is in love with his Clek Olli. Expensive but awesome and he says most comfy seat he has had. Any backless, right down to the $13 Cosco or Harmony ones, you and your kid likes should work though, just make sure he has good belt fit in the vehicle with it.

If your younger kid also has good belt fit in a backless, there is no evidence he is safer with a back unless he can't stay in position without one.

Athena

I had a hard time switching to boosters too, but my 6 and 8 year old do a great job at taking that responsibility seriously. They need to sit properly and not mess around and at their ages, they can do it. We've found the Britax Parkway SGL to work for us, nice and tall for growth and with nice deep head wings for sleeping without slumping over. HTH.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC