Highback booster rec?

sk8nut

My son is ready for a high back booster in my parent's van. He's currently using a Safety1st Go Hybrid but the seats in the van are too short for the headrest to go up any further. He's 6.5 and about average height, but most of his height is in his legs so I'd really love something with an adjustable back and latch, but since it's for my parent's car and we only visit once every 6 weeks at most, I'd really love for it to be CHEAP. Does this exist?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If you can find a deal on an Affix, that's the cheapest LATCHable seat.
I don't recall the rules on the S1 Go backless, but can it be used LATCHed? The IMMI version can, and it is an absolutely divine booster for a leggy kid. No need for a highback unless he's a major car sleeper, a backless is just as safe if he'll sit right without you losing your voice reminding him to ;)

seb3244

I know someone said a low back booster is the same as the high-back booster but I don't know that is the case. I feel the more side impact protection you can provide the better. I would go with the high-back booster but that is my personal preference no science behind my choice. I just want to always put the most protection between my child's head and a side impact crash.

sk8nut

I think the S1 can be latched backless, but DS is just not ready for that step yet. Honestly I'm not sure he will be for a long time. We do use a backless Bubblebum occasionally when we travel but he's usually in a middle seat and an adult is on one side of him. In my parent's van he'd be in a captain's chair style seat, next to a door, and I just like the added head protection of a highback booster. I think DS would appreciate it too.

In our cars we have Britax Frontiers, mine is still harnessed and DH's is belt positioning, but was only recently changed from harnessed.

sk8nut

I know someone said a low back booster is the same as the high-back booster but I don't know that is the case. I feel the more side impact protection you can provide the better. I would go with the high-back booster but that is my personal preference no science behind my choice. I just want to always put the most protection between my child's head and a side impact crash.

I'm with you on that! Plus my parents live in the Washington DC metro area which isn't exactly know for a low number of car accidents... I'd rather err on the side of caution.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The people who said a backless is just as safe were just as surprised as we are ;) http://carseatblog.com/8243/to-backless-or-not-to-backless-that-is-the-question/ "This study reconfirms previous reports that BPB seats reduce the risk for injury in children 4 through 8 years of age by studying a greater percentage of children aged 6 to 8 years than previous studies. After adjustment for potential confounders, children who were aged 4 to 8 and using BPB seats were 45% less likely to sustain injuries than similarly aged children who were using the vehicle seat belt. Among children who were restrained in BPB seats, there was no evidence of a difference in the performance of backless versus high-back boosters. On the basis of these analyses, parents, pediatricians, and health educators should continue to recommend as best practice the use of BPB seats once a child outgrows a harness-based child restraint until he or she is at least 8 years of age. "

Of course, you know your kid best! I used a highback for my oldest till he was 12, lol http://carseatblog.com/5671/too-old-for-a-booster-says-who/

sk8nut

That's interesting to know, and certainly makes me feel better about my friends who use backless boosters with their 4 year olds. I sent my parents the recommendation for the Graco Affix High Back though. It makes me feel better and honestly I think he would fight me about using a backless booster.

I have would bet he will use it with the back until he is too tall! I had figured his little sister would be taking over his Frontier soon (she's 3) but he's so attached to it I'll bet he uses it until it expires ;) Looks like I'll be ordering her new Frontiers to use sometime in the next year.

Athena

That's interesting to know, and certainly makes me feel better about my friends who use backless boosters with their 4 year olds. I sent my parents the recommendation for the Graco Affix High Back though. It makes me feel better and honestly I think he would fight me about using a backless booster.

I have would bet he will use it with the back until he is too tall! I had figured his little sister would be taking over his Frontier soon (she's 3) but he's so attached to it I'll bet he uses it until it expires ;) Looks like I'll be ordering her new Frontiers to use sometime in the next year.

Is the 4yo 40 pounds and sits perfectly every ride?

He just might fight the backless. I hear stories of kids fighting boosters, much less HBBs, yet I find it all hard to believe when I have an 8yo who refuses to go backless and when we tried, complained the whole time about it being terribly uncomfortable. Why would any kid want to leave their comfy Frontier? :) I'm quite happy with her staying in a HBBs, but there are occasions it isn't practical. Although I feel she is safe riding in a backless, failure to reject the null hypothesis isn't the same as proving it's equally safe and I think with her the comfort factor may lead to her sitting better, so except for the rare occasion, I'll let her stay in her HBB until she no longer fits. So if that's what he likes and what you're more comfortable with, go for it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC