Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Narrow Booster options?

It has been quite awhile since I have bought a highback booster, but I want a narrow one for my 7 yr old to use for the occasional car ride with a friend. What is out there that is narrow these days?

FYI-she currently rides in a frontier and we already have a low back, but I would prefer that she have a highback when possible.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Narrow Booster options?

What vehicle would it usually be in and what's the other seat in the most frequent scenario? Will she always have vehicle head support or is there a low back in any of these vehicles? What is her seated shoulder height? The narrow booster choices are relatively few, but knowing what else is in play might help us help you pick the best fit for the situation.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

I'm also looking for some narrow options. we have a harmony booster that I plan on using as a spare and for friends. it's narrow and light so would work well for moving between vehicles. Fits the captain's chairs in my traverse. Not sure how tall it goes but works for my 6yo or how comfortable for long rides. I bought it at Wal-Mart.

mama to Jackson 11/08
    radian in chevy traverse
    Grace nautilus in a chevy Tahoe

The harmony seats are pretty short, so may not last long for a 7 year old in high back mode. How long you'll want a high back is definitely a relevant issue.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Well, it would mostly be for dad's car which is a 2000 Ford Taurus and has fixed level head support if I remember correctly, but I also want the option for sending it with friends, so it would need to work in a variety of cars. Dad's car is also likely going to be replaced at some point this year, so basing the decision solely on one car isn't ideal here. It will probably never be the primary seat, just the backup for occasional use.

In Dad's car it sometimes has to play nicely in a three across with a maestro and a big brother in an adult belt. I also have a nearly 5 yr old who will end up using it at some point in the future when he outgrows the maestro as his secondary seat.

While I love side impact protection and all, I was super sad when they redesigned the Britax Parkway to be a lot wider. It filled a niche that no other seat really does anymore.

So it sounds like something that doesn't require support from the vehicle would be preferred, so that it can go in almost any vehicle?